Gibson Brands Forums

Line 6 James Tyler Variax

chengin

It looks impressive but I dunno. Something about using electronics that much makes me wonder. I think the Robot concept of tuning for real makes better sense for sound quality - and I don't think that's just 'cuz I'm an old guy.

m

It looks impressive but I dunno. Something about using electronics that much makes me wonder. I think the Robot concept of tuning for real makes better sense for sound quality - and I don't think that's just 'cuz I'm an old guy.

m

Having it all on one guitar is the bit that grabbing me over the robot. I have tried the early robots but I found them a bit flaky when it came to the different tunings. Any of the clips of the variax looks like you can do things instantly. Sound quality is what I am wondering about, but having a 12 string, acoustic, tele, jazz box, LPs etc in one guitar looks very tempting.

I agree with you, its whether the electronics stand up over time is the bit thats bugging me. I'd hate to think I might have to bin a guitar that cost me 1K cos something in the electronics went **** up in a number of years time.

I dunno.

My Zoom multi-effect has a "12-string" setting and a tuning "swoop" on it and it sounds about as real to me as something my computer did.

I dunno, really. I agree that the idea of a single guitar for all sorts of sounds is neat, but I guess my thoughts on necks and overall "feel" might trump things, especially with the "electronic" thing going against it.

Hard telling. I was really thinking hard about pushing for a variax but talked myself against it for the reasons above.

m

Guitarest - I guess your downsides are the things I was thinking about with this also, I hadn't really fully considered the charging aspect.

From what I can see with this tyler variax, you can alter tunings via a scroll slider on the guitar itself (not sure if you needed to do this via pod or pc on older version).

This one also seems to come with a lithium ion battery and can use a battery recharger (line 6), like in a camcorder. That removes the need for a pod I guess.

I was hoping you could use this thing on its own and not have to worry about buying lots of additional line 6 stuff. It all looks great in theory...

Archived