Gibson Brands Forums

Jimm Page Wiring Kits for an Epi LP

rjames1973

Hi Everyone,

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top (honeyburst), which I've had for about a year. I just had it professionally setup, and it sounds great. I would also like to do some upgrades with the electronics, pickups, etc. I've read about different brands that offer Jimmy Page wiring kits for Gibsons and Epiphones, but I'm not sure which one to get. These are the ones that come with the classic Jimmy Page style push/pull pots. Could anyone recommend a good place to purchase this kit -- specifically for an Epi Les Paul? Thanks!

- Jim

Hi Everyone,

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top (honeyburst), which I've had for about a year. I just had it professionally setup, and it sounds great. I would also like to do some upgrades with the electronics, pickups, etc. I've read about different brands that offer Jimmy Page wiring kits for Gibsons and Epiphones, but I'm not sure which one to get. These are the ones that come with the classic Jimmy Page style push/pull pots. Could anyone recommend a good place to purchase this kit -- specifically for an Epi Les Paul? Thanks!

- Jim

JP Link - CLICK HERE

I used a very simple GOOGLE SEARCH.

I think push/pull pots are a bad idea.

You have 2 electronic gizmos in 1 gizmo.

Better to have seperate gtizmos (IE - 1 switch & 1 pot).

Those push/pull switch/pots have been around since the

1930s at least... used in early radios... nothing new

there. Just RE-discovered by a dude with a gitar...

Whoopie !

CHEEKS

Don't listen to him, he's an idiot. Push-pull pots are a great. I've always used EMGs, but I've needed weird values for active electronics. MEC makes some good ones too I hear. I believe several forum members have purchased complete kits from Mojotone.

You could always buy individual components from Stew Mac, Allparts etc and do it yourself. When I started looking at kits, there was always some part of it that I didn't like; pots with the wrong taper, low quality switches etc. I also came across several different "jimmy page" wirings; based on the '90s Gibson #1 with I believe 2 push/pulls, current Gibson #2 with 4 push/pulls AND 2 miniswitches and the standard one that modders do with 4 push/pulls.

I just did the standard 4 push/pull one but designing the circuit up from scratch myself as I can do it well and follow more "good practices" while doing it while also chosing my own pot taper, 50s vs modern tone controls, independant vs standard Les Paul volume controls etc. and shileded my cavities.

What I used to do it myself, which I mostly bought from Allparts, is:

-Pickups with 3 or 4 conductor wiring.

-2x 500k linear push/pull pots with metric diameter, short shafts (sourcing such specific parts was a problem for me in the UK. I ended up using MightyMite pots from 1 shop on eBay and there is nothing wrong with them. There choice of push/pulls isn't great, they're all minipots, and to get ones that fit epi is quite difficult, trying to get linear taper ones leaves little option.)

-2x 500k log (audio) push/pull pots with metric diameter, short shafts

-2x Sprague orange drop 22nF (i.e. 0.022uF) capacitors

-2ft 4 conductor shielded pickup wire

-a length, don't know how much I used, probably less than 3ft, insulated stranded core wire

-Switchcraft short straight 3 way toggle switch

-You probably don't need to change your 1/4" jack unless it's giving you problems as the new oval shaped Epiphone ones work well and won't rotate in their holes, if you want to change it, you can use a Switchcraft one, but I don't know how well those fit into the new epi oval hole.

-adhesive copper if you want to shield the cavities, which I recommend as Epiphone starts off with pretty good shilding as they use shileded wires in the cavity, which you probably won't.

So, I located a Web site that sells a Jimmy Page wiring kit. They offer the kit for both Gibson LPs and Epiphone LPs. Since I am not good with electronics, could anyone offer some advice on this product, based on the description? I just want to explore all of my options and ask questions before I drop over $100.00 on a kit, not to mention the cost of actually having the kit installed in my Epi LP. Thanks!

http://www.torresengineering.com/noname7.html

I recently completed a Jimmy Page wiring job on my SG I have 4 wire Gibson 57's in it.

The pots sit a bit higher than normal, but it works brilliant.

It was not that hard to do, and it doesn't really cost that much for 4 push pull pots and some wire.

I will get something like a LP tribute later this year, and am going to set it up like a Jimmy Page 2 with the push buttons under the pickguard. I will need to find or make a wiring sched for this.

Not sure about the kits sorry but I have seen the Torres stuff on the web. If you do get one keep the forum posted on how it all goes.

Archived