Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with a Viola bass

Papalampraina

Hello to everyone who reads this.

I am very new to epiphone (fender lover tbh) but I managed to get an Epi Viola bass through a trade.

Even with so much dirt on it, it was easy to see that it's a beautiful instrument.

I cleaned it, polished it, put new TI flats on and the g-string (no pun) buzzes at the 12th or the 13th fret, depending on how high or low I will set the saddle.

Actually it's not a typical buzz, it's like putting the finger on the 12th fret and the string is played like it's the 13th fret. I'm playing a G and I hear a buzzing G#.

If I set the saddle very high, the same thing goes for the 13th and 14th frets respectively.

Sorry for giving so many, probably useless, details, but floating bridges and saddles are not my thing.

I was thinking of taking the bass to a luthier, but if it's something I can fix myself, I suppose I can save some money.

Anyone out there that had the same problem on the Viola or other bass and knows how to deal with it?

Any info is really welcomed.

Sorry, I don't really understand the question. In particular I don't understand this bit

Actually it's not a typical buzz, it's like putting the finger on the 12th fret and the string is played like it's the 13th fret. I'm playing a G and I hear a buzzing G#.

The only things that I can think of is that you've got too much neck relief or a slightly high fret above the twelth (maybe the G# fret) and the string is catching and creating some kind of wolf tone. At what fret does the buzzing disappear?

Without the buzzing I would say that the intonation is way off if you're getting G# at the 12th fret. Are you sure the bridge is in the correct position? How are the other strings at the same position?

The only things that I can think of is that you've got too much neck relief or a slightly high fret above the twelth (maybe the G# fret) and the string is catching and creating some kind of wolf tone. At what fret does the buzzing disappear?

Without the buzzing I would say that the intonation is way off if you're getting G# at the 12th fret. Are you sure the bridge is in the correct position? How are the other strings at the same position?

Sorry for not explaining it correct.

It's probably a problem with the neck, it is actually very straight. Problem is, by lowering or raising the bridge (the wooden part that has the screws on) I only got to see the problem moving from the 12th to the 13th fret. So I don't think it's a raised fret or anything. On the other hand only the G string is having that problem and they are all at the same height or so. Intonation was actually very good for all strings. It's not that I get a G# on the 12th fret, rather it doesn't matter if I play the 12th or the 13th. Same note is played, albeit when the finger is on the 12th it's not heard clear.

All that moves to one fret closer to the body when the bridge was raised.

Anything now?

I have a quite old Jazz bass which doesn't get a lot of use these days. Recently I noticed that it had too much relief in the neck so I straightened it a little. I now find that if I play above the A above G on the G string the note chokes off a little and isn't a distinct A note. I did a little more straightening and discovered that the 15th fret (Bb) was a little high on the treble side. I guess it must always have been like this as I've never had to have any work done on the frets. It sounds to me like a similar thing to what you have. In my case I decided that as I don't really play that high up the neck I would live with it as the rest of the bass now plays better than I can remember. Sorry i can't be any more help but I'm sure one of the other guys here will have the answer.

I have a quite old Jazz bass which doesn't get a lot of use these days. Recently I noticed that it had too much relief in the neck so I straightened it a little. I now find that if I play above the A above G on the G string the note chokes off a little and isn't a distinct A note. I did a little more straightening and discovered that the 15th fret (Bb) was a little high on the treble side. I guess it must always have been like this as I've never had to have any work done on the frets. It sounds to me like a similar thing to what you have. In my case I decided that as I don't really play that high up the neck I would live with it as the rest of the bass now plays better than I can remember. Sorry i can't be any more help but I'm sure one of the other guys here will have the answer.

Thanks even for bothering to answer. :)

Unfortunately the 12th is not that low on the neck, so I need it clean. If it was the 18th, I might leave it as it was, but right now I want it fixed.

Thanks once more. Gonna wait for more replies now.

I will eventually if it's something I can't fix.

And by "fix" I don't mean breaking the instrument

in pieces. When I finish my shift I'm taking the

bass to the luthier.

Sounds like you have a high fret. Sometimes you can

just tamp it back into place. Sometimes you have to

dress it down. It's prolly the 13th fret.

When you fret other frets, you should be able to feel

a bit of clearance if you use your picking hand to tap

the string against the next higher fret. You'll prolly feel

no clearance on the 13th when you fret the G-string to

the 12th fret [or much too little clearance].

The same symptoms can also be caused by a worn

spot, a dip, under the G-string at the [in this case]

12th fret. Same principle, of mismatched relative fret

heights, but less easy to fix.

Or you can break it into little pieces ....

`

`

BTW, don't raise nor lower the bridge under the

burden of string tension. Slack the strings. The

threads in the wheels are soft and cannot take

the load without rapidy wearing out. Also, when

you slack the strings the bridge might shift, so

mark the location before slacking the strings.

And finally, follow Sir Paul's example ... move

on from that thing to a REAL bass ! !

`

`

When you play the SG you'll forget aaaalll about

that viola toy. True, the viola bass can make one

sound that the SG can't hit ... but, the viola only

makes that one sound ... aaaalll the time. Jeeez.

USA P-Dlx ! The Wonder Horse ! 18v, no waiting.

I looove the active system ... so flexible ... yet, I

strung it with an old, well-flogged, set of Roto '77'

Monel flats and ... Voila ... 18 volt vintage tone !

Olde Skool Tone, minus Noise, equals way Cool.

`

I don't think it was about tones. I mostly got the viola because I like the beatles (duh) and because I wanted a lightweight acoustic/electric bass to play at home and at the odd "plugged in" unplugged gig that happens from time to time. If I want versatility, power, tones, etc I have the powerhouse named Deluxe-P, also strung with flats, and my pedalboard to explore and exploit.

The SG on the other hand is more of a sound/looks combo IMO. I respect and love fenders, but the coolness of the SG is not from this planet.

Btw, Faded or not? Is the price difference reflected in their specs? Just asking if you know.

.... the coolness of the SG is not from this planet.

Btw, Faded or not? Is the price difference reflected

in their specs? Just asking if you know.

No help here. I skipped that question by going with

the blondie from the 'Geetar of the Week' program.

And ... miracle of miracles ... if you wanna do like

that ... I know where there's TWO of them for sale:

http://www.chrisguitars.com/gib07sg-supreme-bass-nat2.jpg

http://www.chrisguitars.com/gib07sg-supreme-bass-nat-314.jpg

Details and further pix are on his "Basses" page:

http://www.chrisguitars.com/bass.html

It's about not-quite-halfway down the page. He's

local to me, and I've dealt with him. Honest, but

can be kinda grumpy. Use the phone. He's just

hopeless about his email.

`

Archived