Gibson Brands Forums

ok need help again on drilling the stud holes

hotshot9991

ok this time i need help on how i need to drill the stud holes for the tune o matic and the stopbar on a les paul style body.I already have a gibson studio faded so ill just use that for were ill get the mesurements on were i need the holes at.But how am i gonna get the holes? im kinda a begginner so if this is the stupidest thing just tell me, when people do drill the holes is a hand held electric drill used or something else?

I'm only hands-on experienced with widening post holes, but to drill new holes you would most likely want to use a drill press. I dont know the details nor am I able to give you any advice on how to go about it. Sorry.

At least you have a starting point though. Maybe someone else will be able to help you further.

A drill press with an auger bit on real slow speed. If you have any doubts or apprehensions (or don't have access to a drill press), mark the hole locations, determine the proper size (and depth) holes, and then take it to a local woodworking shop and have them drill it for you. They wouldn't charge you but a few bucks, it's only four holes. You might just run into a guitar enthusiast that wouldn't charge you anything.

If you decide to tackle it yourself, be slow and careful, check and double check locations and sizes, and practice all the work on a piece or two of scrap wood. Once you feel confident in the operation and procedure move on to the "real" wood.

Good Luck.

Archived