Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Case

PhreaQ

Hey guys!

So i today i got my hands on a 1985 Gibson J45, but it didn't come with the original case.

So now i'm looking for a Gibson hardshell case but they seem hard to find (at least in Holland)

So now i finally found a jumbo case, at: http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_jumbo_case.htm

But the description says "only fits models J165 and J185 (no SJ200)"

I don't know all that much about sizes, but the J45 is classed as a "advanced Jumbo", so wouldn't it fit?

Thanks for helping me out! appreciated!

No fit. The 165 and 185 are "jumbo" shaped bodies - pinched waist, round bottom. The J45 is round shouldered, straight waisted and flat bottomed. And I don't understand how one case could fit both the 165 and 185 very well....two different body sizes, with the 185 much closer to the SJ200 in size. If you want a good fit you'll need a case for the J45.

But the description says "only fits models J165 and J185 (no SJ200)"

I don't know all that much about sizes, but the J45 is classed as a "advanced Jumbo", so wouldn't it fit?

No, it won't: the J-165 and J-185 are completely different shapes from the J-45. (Also, a case that fits a J-185 will be too large for a J-165. They definitely come with different cases from the factory.) Any Gibson dealer should be able to order you a J-45 case if you want "Genuine Gibson". You might also try a generic dreadnought-sized case. Some are a bit too small for a J-45, but many fit just fine.

-- Bob

I can't read the German, but the pic appears to show a J-200 in the case.

If that's a J-200 case, it isn't not the same as a J-45 case. The guitar bodies have different shapes and dimensions - most especially in the lower bout.

Here's a J-200 case:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-J200-Guitar-Case?sku=547965

Here's a J-45 case:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Case-for-J45-Acoustic?sku=549528

From a technical standpoint, the (J-200)case for my J-100 XTRA WILL hold my J-45, but it's a rather imperfect fit.

I'm sure Gibson customer service or a Gibby dealer can give you the correct product number.

I hope this helps.

Wow, thanks guys great response!

uhm, leaves me no choice then to find a genuine J45 case, the only problem is buying stuff like that isn't that easy in Europe, since the sites you guys just posted (and most other US webstores) don't ship internationally (except for Canada)

Thanks again for the awesome replies! I'll be hunting for a store that ships internationally and Gibson dealers in Holland. So if you guys happen to come across one let me know!

Just for fun heres a picture of the guitar, it is the first Gibson i have owned and am very pleased:

5uecl5.jpg

Archived