Gibson Brands Forums

AMP cabinet touch-up spray paint

Cheeks

Any USA car parts dealer (such as NAPA, PEP BOYS etc)

will have a VINYL SPRAY PAINT in a littler spray can.

It is used to touch-up car dashboards, car inside

door panels etc...

It comes in various colors. Including BLACK.

This stuff works wonders on amp case scrapes

and scratches. You can even glue-down tears

with Elmer's wood glue, then after drying...

spray over with this vinyl spray paint.

I think it costs something around $5 to $10/USD

a can.

The cans in the store are usually on a

wire display rack that turns around.

CHEEKS

Example of vinyl spray can paint - CLICK HERE

31fs4ZFYEQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg31FRIT6ur6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

PS - I sprayed a couple of office chairs with this stuff and

it won't wear off... it works really well. Doesn't rub off. [thumbup]

I guess I am the only one, who gives a damn

if his/her amp looks spiffy, clean, sharp

and sassy.

I feel for the rest of you with scabby lookin

amps... torn, scuffed and filthy and crappy

lookin toboot.

HA !

CHEEKS]

Alright Cheeks... since you appreciate spiffyness and products for that purpose I'm gonna give you, (and others here), a tip for this type of fix that hopefully will be useful. FORGET SEM STUFF. What you need to look into is MELTONIAN NU LIFE COLOR SPRAYS. Overall less expensive, waaaaaay more durable, better colors, incredible coverage, fairly solvent resistant, easy touch ups but rarely if ever needed. Stuff is the absolute BEANS ! SEM stuff cannot hold a candle to the job a can of Meltonian will do. I've worked on automotive interiors for years and hated every time I had to deal with SEM sprays for interior components. Seemingly no amount of prep, (even with their other expensive recommended undercoats, and "topcoats" ever yielded durable results. Once I stumbled onto the Meltonian product....SEM was done in my shop for good. Check into their products on Ebay, leather supply shops, or shoe repair outlets. Amazing Stuff. I did a cane grill on a VJ cabinet in black, (that did take several coats due to irregular surface, weave, and lack of penetration of the material): but when finished the look was like some high end custom fabric. This worked well with the stock black tolex. Using a hot color to replace the burgandy. It radically changed the visual personality of the cab by just a face reworking into something I feel hangs together better than even the stock configuration.

Wedgie

Alright Cheeks... since you appreciate spiffyness and products for that purpose I'm gonna give you, (and others here), a tip for this type of fix that hopefully will be useful. FORGET SEM STUFF. What you need to look into is MELTONIAN NU LIFE COLOR SPRAYS. Overall less expensive, waaaaaay more durable, better colors, incredible coverage, fairly solvent resistant, easy touch ups but rarely if ever needed. Stuff is the absolute BEANS ! SEM stuff cannot hold a candle to the job a can of Meltonian will do. I've worked on automotive interiors for years and hated every time I had to deal with SEM sprays for interior components. Seemingly no amount of prep, (even with their other expensive recommended undercoats, and "topcoats" ever yielded durable results. Once I stumbled onto the Meltonian product....SEM was done in my shop for good. Check into their products on Ebay, leather supply shops, or shoe repair outlets. Amazing Stuff. I did a cane grill on a VJ cabinet in black, (that did take several coats due to irregular surface, weave, and lack of penetration of the material): but when finished the look was like some high end custom fabric. This worked well with the stock black tolex. Using a hot color to replace the burgandy. It radically changed the visual personality of the cab by just a face reworking into something I feel hangs together better than even the stock configuration.

Wedgie

CoooL !

Now that makes 2 people with snazzy amps!

I wrote that down on paper by the way... will check it out.

Great advice and thanks.

CHEEKS

Archived