Gibson Brands Forums

Differences between Woody Guthrie SJ and SJ TV

nickb

I bought a new TVSJ for Musician's Friend in Dec. 2009. By it's serial number, it was built on Aug. 9, 2009. That might have been the last run, but hey were definitely made in 2009. And yes, Gibson.com doesn't list them anymore. In fact, there are no standard SJ's, except for the signature models, as best I can tell. I can't understand why not?

I really love the cosmetics of the SJ's versus the J-45.

Horses of courses, of course, YMMV.

I see Sweetwater & Musician's Friend both have them, so Gibson is still making those SJ TV's.

Main difference is the Woody has regular rosewood board/bridge, while TV has matagascar (spelling?) rarer rosewood.

The TV also has vintage dark lacquer toner, no electronics, while the Woody has an electronic pickup. The Woody has no white fretboard binding, while the TV does. Sitka spruce tops on both. Different pickguard on TV than Woody.

I don't know what kind of internal bracing is on the Woody, but the TV has the scalloped forward shifted / advanced bracing like the AJ's. Does anyone know if the braces are 1/4" or 5/16"? Neck profile on the TV is V, but feels like a low profile C shape to me. Woody neck?

That is all I can see of the differences. I've got an '07 TV, love the guitar, lots of tone character. Just wish the color was a little lighter & not so dark on the back of neck and sides/back, so some of that mahogany figure could be more easily seen.

The year 2007 was the 1st year of production on the TV, i think.

Archived