Gibson Brands Forums

J-185 - is TV the way to go?

bkharmony

Hey bk.

In *general* terms, I'd say that the TV version of most of those 'standard models' will increase your likelihood of getting a better-sounding, more earnest guitar than not. However, there are no guarantees, just generalities, really. Luck of the draw still ends up a significant factor. So, if at all possible, the "try before you play" maxim is the best advice, and the return policy for any mail order/distance purchase would be the best thing to suggest.

Anecdote: Took my 2001 J-185 and played it next to a straight-out-of-the-box (not even out of the factory yet!) J-185TV, and while very good...

IMGP0828.jpg

... I judged that my '01 was the better-sounding of the two. That could easily be shown up, though, by the very next TV you happen to try. Or a non-TV. It just isn't that simple, I guess.

Sorry for the clear-as-mud answer, but play before you pay is the best advice.

Fred

Sorry for the clear-as-mud answer, but play before you pay is the best advice.

Fred

Thanks. Mostly I think I'm worried about the V neck. But it doesn't matter, as the one on eBay lasted a whopping 4 hours. :P

Still, I hope folks will chime in with their knowledge, as I *will* someday get that elusive J-185.

Thanks. Mostly I think I'm worried about the V neck. But it doesn't matter, as the one on eBay lasted a whopping 4 hours.

That was a screaming great deal for that guitar. BIN of 1599.00. If I didn't already have one I'd have bought it. Hell, I almost bought it anyway because I felt it undervalued the one I have. Glad it's off the market at that price!

Archived