Gibson Brands Forums

Convince me.

toopicky

Since you're looking for your FIRST guitar (Yes, you'll want a second one in about 8 months)

This isn't my first guitar. I played many years ago and am just getting the urge to start again. Since I'm getting ready to retire soon, I wanted to start playing to occupy some of the extra time I'll have on my hands.

This WILL be my only and last guitar, which is why I'm trying to be extra sure of what I want before I buy one.

Everyone has been so helpful with their information and opinions. I'd like to thank you all and when I finally decide what to buy, I'll let everyone know what I got. In the meantime, if you have anything else to share, please do.

Thank you all,

Steve

Now who's Picky? [biggrin]

Steve,

I didn't add a response to that when first posted. Figured the topic was just getting started and I had already posted my opinion.

But.....That was funny!!!

Anyway, It has been a pleasure contributing and reading this thread.

Now...Go buy and Epi and post pics.

Willy

Steve,

I didn't add a response to that when first posted. Figured the topic was just getting started and I had already posted my opinion.

But.....That was funny!!!

Anyway, It has been a pleasure contributing and reading this thread.

Now...Go buy and Epi and post pics.

Willy

Willy,

every now and then, I get these flashes of brilliance, but usually I'm the only one that gets it. [confused]

This isn't my first guitar. I played many years ago and am just getting the urge to start again. Since I'm getting ready to retire soon, I wanted to start playing to occupy some of the extra time I'll have on my hands.

This WILL be my only and last guitar, which is why I'm trying to be extra sure of what I want before I buy one.

Well Steve, if you're absolutely adamant this will be your only guitar I'm going to suggest that you buy a used Gibson SG faded. This goes a bit against the grain for me as I'm a strong Epi advocator and always buy brand new. Yes Epis are great guitars, especially if you like to own several different styles but couldn't possibly afford/justify getting Gibson versions of each model. However, if I were only going to own one guitar it would probably be this one, or maybe my Charvel......don't make me choose!

As stated above, the SG will get you close to the LP sound in terms of sustain but with more in the way of attack rather than fatness. It's a great overall guitar for blues, rock and metal genres and has a very fast neck with total upper fret access............and if you're going to own just one you may as well use all the frets! [laugh] .

The faded version is also bling free so is particularly good value. Biased people like me will tell you that the faded is actually better than the SG Standard because the faded finish makes for a slicker feel to the rear of the neck and a more open attack with the grain. Also, I personally prefer its 490T over the 498T pickup that comes with the Standard.

So, you may need to spend a bit more than your budget to get one used but why not do this if it's going to be your only guitar. You'd still need to try before buying to make absolutely sure you get a good one, though.

Note- other 'good value' Gibsons include the satin finish LP juniors, faded Flying Vs and the Melody Makers but I'm not sure whether they would suit your needs. What types of music would you want to play on it?

PS. I still don't hold out hope for you re: owning just the one guitar, especially with having a lot of time on your hands and access to the web. Do you realise how difficult it is to suppress the hunter gatherer gene?

Best Rgards

Alan

What types of music would you want to play on it?

PS. I still don't hold out hope for you re: owning just the one guitar, especially with having a lot of time on your hands and access to the web. Do you realise how difficult it is to suppress the hunter gatherer gene?

Best Rgards

Alan

I'm still stuck on 50's & 60's rock and I really like The Ventures. (I have every album they ever put out... on vinyl).

As far as one guitar, once I've made up my mind to something, it's pretty hard to knock me off course. I've suppressed a lot of urges in my life.

Of course, you can play any type of music on any type of guitar. It's just that when I think of the Ventures, or "surf" music in general, I think of twangy, single coil, Fender-esque sounds, not fat, Gibson-type humbucker sounds.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. (was just being an a$$) [biggrin]

Really, I'm not all that concerned about trying to recreate a particular tone, as long as when I play the notes I can recognize what song it is supposed to be, I'm as happy as a pig in mud. And a lot of times, a different tone or style can even sound better than the original. At least I think so.

Archived