Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul help!

Chim

Hi I've recently been offered this guitar in trade for one of mine, the guy who owns this reckons its a late 80's /early 90s LP-says he's not sure of the model but bought it from a friend in the mid 90's who had Gibson replace the neck as it was broken in transit to him. Now then, there is no serial number on the guitar, apparently sometimes Gibson did this when replacing necks? Basically i want to know if its a fake or not and i'm really struggling to work it out!

Any help would be much appreciated!

I cant upload pics right now but its a brown body with cream pickup rings and black humbuckers, all hardware is black and the headstcok reads Gibson 'Les Paul Model', nothing on the truss rod cover and its a two screw kind. Will try to get pics up soon.

... Now then, there is no serial number on the guitar, apparently sometimes Gibson did this when replacing necks? ...

Maybe. But I know of a couple of major repairs performed by Gibson and they put a new serial number on the headstock (one I've seen here in my city and one on the forum). So I don't think Gibson would repair a guitar under warranty and then send it out without a serial number on it. (Key word there is "think").

And yes, you should post some pics - ie: full front, full back, headstock front, head stock back and neck joint - asap.

Archived