Gibson Brands Forums

gibson es 335 serial number?

epiphonic

Most Gibson six-digit serial numbers are completely useless in ID'ing/dating a guitar. They did not use them consecutively, they skipped some all together, then years later they went back and used them, and they most likely used some numbers more than once. From about '63 to '75 the serial number alone confirms nothing. In many cases from this era the potentiometer codes are the only way to get a general idea of the date of manufacture.

By the way, the 5XX,XXX numbers were also used in '74 and early '75. So the 335 in question could be from '65, '68, '74, or '75.

There's no way to put a value on any guitar from a serial number alone, especially since there is a ten year span of possible manufacture. There's a BIG difference in the value of a '65 and a '75. You need to find out loads of further details about the guitar before you even start thinking about value. Once you do find out exactly what the guitar is you can find the "market value" by researching recent "completed auctions" (actual selling prices) on e-bay and such.

Larry, wouldn't the 70's model have the "volute"! Maybe he can check out that 335 and see if has one, that would make it a 70's model.

Yes, of course there are slight variances in each model as they progress through the years, such as the volute, Made In USA stamp, label color, headstock logo, tailpiece, knobs, hardware, etc.

I was hoping to engage the original poster in a little constructive dialog, instead of just writing a "how to" book. If the OP would like to take the time and effort to research/furnish more details, I would be glad to help sort them out.

Yes, of course there are slight variances in each model as they progress through the years, such as the volute, Made In USA stamp, label color, headstock logo, tailpiece, knobs, hardware, etc.

I was hoping to engage the original poster in a little constructive dialog, instead of just writing a "how to" book. If the OP would like to take the time and effort to research/furnish more details, I would be glad to help sort them out.

And I wish he would do so. I'd like to hear what you have to say. Seems they never do though. Hope I'm wrong this time.

Archived