Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson And Mesa?

MrNylon

Hi folks; I was curious to see if there are any Gibson Bass players using any Mesa gear. I've used a few other brand amps with Gibson, but really like the combination of the two. The Marshall MB series for me was close.

Hi folks; I was curious to see if there are any Gibson Bass players using any Mesa gear. I've used a few other brand amps with Gibson, but really like the combination of the two. The Marshall MB series for me was close.

The amp I sometimes use for practice isn't a Mesa, but my understanding is the design was cribbed from Mesa and ended up causing a lawsuit in about 1981. It is an Acoustic 165 guitar amp and it sounds pretty good at lower volumes with either the EB-2 or Epi Thunderbird. Playing for an audience I use a much larger solid state stack instead of the smaller tube amp. Gibson basses sound good through either one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The amp I sometimes use for practice isn't a Mesa, but my understanding is the design was cribbed from Mesa and ended up causing a lawsuit in about 1981. It is an Acoustic 165 guitar amp and it sounds pretty good at lower volumes with either the EB-2 or Epi Thunderbird. Playing for an audience I use a much larger solid state stack instead of the smaller tube amp. Gibson basses sound good through either one.

Just about any bass, that isn't a cheap piece of junk, can be made to sound great through any bass amplifier that Mesa Boogie has ever made. I've got a 400+ head and a powerhouse cabinet (4x10 and 1x12) that I've played with a Thunderbird bass and it sounded great.

A friend of mine uses a Mesa head with an Ampeg 2X10 and 1X15 cabs; the rig sounds absolutely awesome. He plays an older fretless Warwick with Fender tape-wound strings, and the thing just growls when he digs into it. After hearing this set-up, I want a tube pre again. :-k

My MB4410 is Hybrid (preamp tube). I ordered a set of La Bella 760N Nylon Tapewound strings for the SG Std. bass this morning. I used Nylons back in 1970, on an EB0. Amazing sounds through a Traynor Bassmate head. The Nylon strings do a lot for the sound too. The tube preamp is a must for my amps anymore also.

Archived