Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone standard les paul 1959 - 1960 - or 2010 tribute ??

Hash

Hi i noticed there are quite a few versions of this guitar :

-http://www.thomann.de/fr/epiphone_les_paul_tribute2010_outfit_fc.htm

-http://www.thomann.de/fr/epiphone_les_paul_tribute_60_outfit_fc.htm

-http://www.thomann.de/fr/epiphone_les_paul_standard_1959_fcb.htm

+ different finishes :S

And i cant make my mind up which to get.So in you're opinion is best and why ??

I like all of them really but there are some small details i dont understand, says 2010 and 1960 have different neck profiles but whats the difference? I dont pay attention to stuff like that much but i have an epiphone G-310 custom and a G-400 cherry do the necks ressemble these?? that way i cant check by playing them and see which i would prefer :)

Also on the pickups what is the tone difference between the "Gibson 57 classic plus humbuckers" on the 1960 and 2010 and the "Gibson burstbuckers" on the 1959

I really need help i've never had so much choice before :D

Well the 2010 model looks nice , not sure about the neck profile but the "gibson 57 classic plus humbucker" is nice and the locking tuners. And apparently you can switch from humbucker to using a singlecoil which sounds like a great feature.

Straplocks look a bit big on it but i could probably change that.

Otherwise looks like i might get this one .

while im at i want to ask: i want to get a wall hanger any recommendations ? i dont want to buy one that will fall of the wall :D

Hi Hash,

I have a 1959 but have not been able to try a 1960 or a 2010 tribute.

However, what I can tell you is that it is the best guitar I own in price/quality.

Okay, there may be some slight differences to my Gibson Les Paul Standard, especially the weight (the Epi feels lighter), but it is an amazing guitar.

The burstbuckers sound great, it plays great and yes it looks great.

For me, it is a true Les Pauls and it feels and plays like one.

I still haven't heard anyone saying that it isn't a great guitar.

It is really worth it versus a normal Standard because of the electronics and case.

I couldn't be happier with it.

Give it a try.

Here's a pic of mine. It's the second from the right in Faded Ice Tea:

lps2.jpg

Hash there are some subtle differences.

Tribute has 57 classics with 4 wire, with series/parallel tapping which is similar to single coil tapping, but not exactly the same. I was having a look at one of these to try and do a Jimmy Page 2 wiring mod on, but ended up with the LP robot recently.

59 has burstbuckers not sure if they are 4 wire for future modifications.

Both are Mahogany body maple top, but I'm not sure if the 59 is chambered the tribute is not.

59 has nice tulip tuners, non locking. tribute has locking silver grovers.

Neck profiles and radius are different, so one may fit you better than the other.

Both have good quality electronics, not normally found on Epi's IMO.

Damn you'll have to try them both or sell a kidney and buy them both.

Its a very bad GAS situation Epi have put us all in.

Regarding the neck on the 2010, it is the asymmetrical profile, I believe that this is the only difference between the 1960 tribute and the 2010. I posted a picture of the 2 neck profiles here:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/53229-any-experience-w-asymetrical-neck-on-les-paul-tribute-model/page__p__715973__fromsearch__1#entry715973

So far I'm unaware of anyone on the forum that has the 2010 Tribute.

Regarding the neck on the 2010, it is the asymmetrical profile, I believe that this is the only difference between the 1960 tribute and the 2010. I posted a picture of the 2 neck profiles here:

http://forum.gibson....__1#entry715973

So far I'm unaware of anyone on the forum that has the 2010 Tribute.

Yep, that'd be me!

And yes, the only difference between the 1960 / 2010 Tributes is the neck profile. I really like mine, you'll have to try both to see which suits you better.

I've also tried the 1959 model in the shops, and a co-worker of mine also has one which I had a chance to noodle around with once. It's a real nice guitar to be sure, but for me (and kinda somewhat to my surprise, to be honest) the 2010 was the way to go. I picked it up in the shop unplugged, and one strum was all it took. The connection was instantaneous, and I had to have it.

Again, you really should try them out to see which guitar best fits your style, which one feels "right" to you.

(Let us know!)

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

Archived