Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Setup - is my Neck bad?

GaryNull

I bought a Gibson acoustic on eBay, and was told it needed a neck reset. So I got

rid of it and I just got this new Takamine acoustic.

But the high 'E' string sounds dead past the 3rd fret,

and the notes past the 13th fret are "stuck" on one note.

I made a video showing:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=V492GAiLVVA

Is this neck bad? What is causing the note to be stuck for the 13th to 17th frets?

Should I return this guitar?

This is a new guitar. Why should the E string be playing so bad?

thanks

Didn't have a chance to watch the video, but the "stuck note" sounds like it may be a high fret. I'll share a few thoughts that might be possibilities.

This type of problem can be the result of a fret creeping up or a hump in the fingerboard where it joins the body. Fretting a lower note actually causes the string to make contact first with one farther up the neck. So, as you walk up the neck, the pitch doesn't change until you get past the high spot. The relief could be wrong, too, I suppose (for example, truss rod too tight in a misguided attempt to improve action). A good tech should be able to diagnose. Best case would be a rising fret. Worst case would probably be a warped neck. Pulling all the frets, planing the fingerboard, and refretting could fix it, but that's a pricey option. If it's the truss rod, the real problem may be a poor neck angle that someone tried to remedy by lowering the saddle too far and tightening the truss rod too much.

If I get a chance, I'll look at the video and see if there are other clues that either support or refute these hunches. Others more knowledgeable than I am may also have a better idea of what's going on.

Well if one string is dead like that between the 3rd and 13th fret it may be that you just have a fret that is sitting proud of the fingerboard somewhere. Take it to a luthier and they will check it out. If that is the case it's easily fixed.

Archived