Gibson Brands Forums

Lesson on my ES-339

G McBride

I am taking guitar lessons on Mondays and decided to take my 339 with me to the lesson this evening. Everything went well and instructor is happy with my progress. He played bass along with me while I played the song chords and then he instructed me on the lead parts.

Lesson ended and I started to pack up and my instructor asked if he could play my guitar. I can't tell you how impressed he was with the 339. I think the man who told me that he had never really been a big Gibson Guy is rethinking that now.

I am taking guitar lessons on Mondays and decided to take my 339 with me to the lesson this evening. Everything went well and instructor is happy with my progress. He played bass along with me while I played the song chords and then he instructed me on the lead parts.

Lesson ended and I started to pack up and my instructor asked if he could play my guitar. I can't tell you how impressed he was with the 339. I think the man who told me that he had never really been a big Gibson Guy is rethinking that now.

Funny you should mention that.

I've recently started lessons too and during my first lesson three weeks ago, my teacher mentioned that he was not much of a LP guy. Then he tried my 1960 VOS Re-issue and said it is the nicest guitar he had ever played. Last week I got my 339 and he tried that and I almost had to pry it out of his hands. He plays mostly hollow or semi-hollow. A Godin 5th avenue I believe is what he brought over.

Dave

I guess there are a lot of reasons a person picks this brand or that brand of guitar. Personally I think i have Five different brand names of guitars. A couple that are Telecasters with a lot of good parts but they are just no name Telecasters style guitars. I also have a Telecaster body style short scale bass that I had custom built.

There are a lot of guitars that I have no experience with but I wouldn't say that I was never a PRS Guy for example. I might be if I played one a while.

Gibson builds a quality guitar that I like and play a lot. Others may build a guitar that I would like also but they would have to be compared to a Gibson in playability and tone for me to accept them.

The decision to buy the ES-339 is one of my best guitar decisions I have ever made.

I have been practicing at least an hour per day and usually two or more hours a day. I am loving the 339 more and more.

I am completely committed to becoming a better player and maybe a performer again, Who knows.

How many of you practice as many hours as you surf the net?

The 339 is something special... My 335 palying friend wishes for the lighter and thinner-bodied 339 I recently acquired. 336 is the real-deal, but once you plug and and adjust the EQ a bit, can't tell the 336 from the 339. They did a great job for the market position they were aimiing for on this one. Enjoy your 339 and the lessons, they are probably more valuable than the guitar will ever be.

Oh- I need to practice at least as much as time as I spend on the computer. Good point, McBride! Always room for improvement. Cheers-

My point was that if some of the people with thousands of posts on this site, practice as much as they are on the computer, we must have a lot of talent on this site.

Had a lesson last night and the owner of the shop was there so I let him play the 339. He could really make it sing in many different styles. Got a thumbs up from the owner of the store who has been in business since 1975 and used to be a Gibson dealer.

Archived