Gibson Brands Forums

burstbucker or 57's

turtle

Hey this is for a friend who plays metallica but still needs a good clean sound (ala fade to black). He has a couple sets of pickups to choose. Burstbucker pros and 57's. Has anyone played or heard these in an epi les paul. Please comment, I'd like to help him out. Thanks :)

I'll always say Burstbuckers, they seem to have a little more bite to my ears. They are a favorite of mine, but if he wants to sound like Metallica, he'd be better off with some ceramics or EMGs. But if he has his heart set on either one, I'd go Burstbucker.

I'll agree with Burstbuckers for what your friend wants. I believe they came out in the 90's and provide a bit more highs. The 57's are classics that seem to always wait for you to pick them hard so they can go into their warm overdriven slightly distorted tone. I love the 57's.

I agree. I think the EMGs are a great choice and there are a lot of pickups out there to choose from. I think he's looking to upgrade and has a chance to obtain the BB's or the 57's easily. So when he does upgrade the pups, he would like something to get closer to the "metallica" crunch but still be able to clean up nicely....

Archived