Gibson Brands Forums

Dating and Valuation Help w/Pix

glennc

Hello,

I am hoping someone will assist me in determining the year of manufacture, confirm the model as an ES-347 and give a valuation range on it due to condition. The guitar plays and sound great. The neck, to me is unusual in that it is beefier than the 60's style, but not as large all the way to the nut as a 50's style. Maybe someone could identify its name. Due to discoloration I replaced the ABR1 Bridge with a new Gibson, the stop tail and the pickguard holding bracket. There are minor areas of use, slight scratching around the neck strap holder and maybe some tiny dings hear and there, appears normal use, nothing through the finish. There is a chip out of the corner of the headstock (shown below in pictures) that wasn't repaired as well as it could. Has the brass nut, coil tap toggle, bound neck and headstock. Discoloration on the rest of the gold hardware is not too bad. The guitar had speed knobs and I don't know if they are original. On rear of headstock picture I intentionally smeared the last three numbers. So the serial number is 81015XXX.

Hear are some photos

IMG_1625A.jpg

IMG_1627A.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

Thanks for any assistance.

glennc

What volute? I've scrutinized the neck and can't see any volute.

Hello Gentlemen,

Thanks for your response. Controversy already. This might be interesting as and if more members join in. Appreciate all the help I can get.

glennc

Maybe it's just the lighting on that one pic. To my eyes it looks like there is a volute. Maybe I'm wrong....

So if there's no volute, wouldn't that mean that the guitar uses the current serial number system and that would make it an '85?

Thanks for the assistance. I say it has no volute. The back of the headstock blends into the neck with no ridge. Hope that will help.

glennc

Hello again, upon some investigating I've found that the guitar did not and does not have the TP-6? Adjustable stop bar. Gibson identified it as a 1985.

glennc

It's all good. At any rate...it's a beautiful guitar.

I love the colour and patina.

Hello and thanks Bob R, I agree that it is a good looker. The neck is very different than the 60's slim and the 50's fat. It is round and has a nice taper and get fairly thick, starts getting thicker at the 2nd fret. Feels sort of like a long ES-175. Still not sure what the split coil is attempting to accomplish. Can anyone explain it?

glennc

Archived