Gibson Brands Forums

The Epi "Super" is finally done

claydots

This poor little 11 pound monster just sat in a case in the spare bedroom. I bought it as the price was really right and the fit and finish are just awesome.

It sounded horrible plugged in and amazing unplugged...

So, out came the tuners, nut, pickups, wiring nightmare (won't even call those a harness), pots, switch, input jack... basically, you name it, off it came until it was a bare bones body and neck.

I leveled the frets (they were not bad actually), installed a set of Duncan '59's (4 wire) with All Parts chrome covers, CTS pots with Orange Drop caps, Gibson Deluxe Kluson tulip head tuners. New Switchcraft switch and input jack and a bone nut.

Thought to myself "why not" and yanked the tailpiece bushings. Bigsby time.... fill and drill..

WOW..... what a difference... you can't tell it from a Gibson. It feels right and just sounds "Bad To The Bone"...

I was going to buy a Gibson... This little darling means I don't have to spend that money and I bet this one sounds better!!!! It's a "sustainiac"... it holds a note forever through my '67 Bandmaster... Oh life's little pleasures...

Archived