Gibson Brands Forums

Es 335 action too high

Rodd

Hi guys, last year I bought a new 2008 model 335 in lightburst and a nice flametop. At the time I had the choice of 2 guitars, the other 335 was a plain vintage sunburst with an amazingly smooth low action and I have to say played like a dream, the neck felt so fast. Ive since regreted buying the lightburst just for the looks and kinda wish I could somehow make it as nice as the other guitar was.

The action on mine is higher than id like even after the free set up I got when I bought it. At the time the guitar tech told me it shouldn't be a problem to set it up as nice as the other 335, but that didn't happen and he didn't explain why he couldn't get it the same.

Im considering sending it to another luthier and was wondering if it's possible to set up two guitars of the same model to play the same or will my guitar always have a higher than I'd like action?

Any advice much appreciated!

Yes, this is possible, but not necessarily CHEAP.

There is still much of the "human factor" that goes into guitar building (especially American built guitars for some reason). No two guitars are alike, and there are so many variables that go into guitar building that makes each one "individual".

The action of any guitar is only the sum of a group of variables (frets, nut, neck relief, bridge, tailpiece, etc). They all work in conjunction with each other. Short of MAJOR structural problems or POS guitars, a HIGHLY skilled guitar tech should be able to get your setup to be whatever you like, but at a cost. Don't expect your "free setup" to be the "end all".

On the other hand, some guitars just "Talk to you". Maybe you should have bought the other one.

From my experience the 'free' set up you get on purchase is usually pretty ordinary. I wouldn't draw any negative views at this stage about the guitar you bought. In fact when I buy a guitar from a shop, I tell them not to bother about setting it up as usually the store tech can make matters worse.

What you need to do is find a QUALITY luthier and describe what you want. As long as the neck is reasonable you will be able to get what you want.

For example I bought an SJ200EC Gibson acoustic from a store and their tech set it up. I was unhappy with the result as the action was far too high which made it almost unplayable and I took it back. He had another go but when I picked it up he then proceeded to tell me about all the problems with the neck. I then took it to another luthier who I knew was good and he took one look at it and said that the guitar was going to be OK all it needed was a good set up. He thought that that I'd bought it from the store without getting it set up.

I agree with all comments so far, it can be frustrating to have a great guitar that is not set up as you would like.

Because of the robust build and centre block construction it is generally possible to achieve a stable set-up on a 335.

One very important issue is string gauge...in my experience 9's or 10's work well...depending on the style of music played and personal preference.

A set-up takes some time to settle in so a good guitar tech will keep the guitar for a week or so to make adjustments.

Good Luck !! [biggrin]

:-({|=

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

I've taken it to my local guitar shop luthier and told him what i wanted, he agreed the action was quite high at the moment and the frets needed a some polishing. He also said that i don't want the action too low otherwise it would effect the resonation of the strings. I'm always a little sceptical when techs say that, it's almost like they're preparing for you not to be happy with it.

He told me to pick it up Thursday so fingers are well and truelly crossed!!!

Thanks again guys!

Archived