Gibson Brands Forums

To Refret or Not

SGTROCK

I had the frets dressed at least once on my 1974 ES-335TD. I don't know if they were done by the previous owner.

They seem to be quite low and wide when compared to other guitars.

Is it time to get a re-fret. will it depreciate the value? Or can it be a job that needs to be done without affecting value?

The control knobs and scratchplate have been renewed

I'd appreciate your feed back on this

m_c8f38ff2e4a647a98e0642d8428c4108.jpg

l_1e27a9db3ee24802b4b9c5699209c186.jpg

IMO it's about playability...if there are problems then it's time to refret.

Perhaps focus on usability rather than value/investment.

A pro refret and set-up would cost $200+.

If the guitar is playing ok then perhaps plan sometime in the future..... :blink:

:-({|=

Yes, a re-fret will affect the value, but it's a '74 not a '59, so that is relative.

When I wore the frets off my '75 335 (in 2000), I chose not to re-fret it, and to sell it as "all original" to maximize my profit. The '75 had no sentimental value and to me was just a tool of the trade, so I used the "windfall" to replace it with a new Historic Series 345. I was also just "ready" for a different ES model and upgrade.

The mid-70's ES guitars are not really "vintage", or sought after by collectors, but many are great players. If your 335 has sentimental value, and/or you need it, or intend to continue to play it, then you will need to have it in "playable" condition. In such a case I would have it re-fretted.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I bought the guitar to be played (but not all the time in order to protect it from damage,) the neck is slim and is a pleasure to play but I think the frets have been stone ground too many times, so it does look like it's time for a refret.

A fret job is usually considered a part of maintenance that any instument should have done when they are worn to the point that playability is affected. Kinda like new tires on a car. They are a part that is known to wear and as far as value a good fret job is better than an unplayable guitar.

Don,t fret over it! If you want it to play....have it done. It is obviously bothering you (playability-wise). Just make sure that it is done by a skilled luthier and you should be alright. A friend of mine had a 50's Southern Jumbo that he had fret-dressed. The guy took the liberty of sanding the nice yellowed neck binding as well. Jeeesh! ....Looked stark white and crappy compared to the rest of the binding on the body. That kind of **** turns me off...Be Carefull, Rod

Archived