Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 1963 J-45 Limited Edition Reissue

diverden

Ran across a J-45 Reissue from Epiphone and I'm trying to find some information on it.

The label inside sound hole describes it as 1963 J-45 Reissue. LTD Edition.

It is in VS and has chrome Grover tuners. It is not designated as Elite or Elitist.

It has a serial # starting with ' S 06", which I assume would mean it's a Samick ,produced in 2006.

I'm interested in original purchase price and if there are any good reviews on the guitar. I have only

found one Harmony Central review.

Thanks for your time.

These came in sunburst, black, and cherry finishes. Prices ranged from $149 (Musician's Friend blowout price) to $399.

The sunburst model sold out quickly.

There used to be several reviews for these on Harmony Central, so check there.

You'll also find these on eBay quite a litle bit.

Epiphone also issued an AJ-45 model in the early to mid 90's, so take care that anything you read about them isn't about that model.

How's it sound?

Red 333

These came in sunburst, black, and cherry finishes. Prices ranged from $149 (Musician's Friend blowout price) to $399.

The sunburst model sold out quickly.

There used to be several reviews for these on Harmony Central, so check there.

You'll also find these on eBay quite a litle bit.

Epiphone also issued an AJ-45 model in the early to mid 90's, so take care that anything you read about them isn't about that model.

How's it sound?

Red 333

Sounds pretty darn good Red. A little brighter than my AJ500ME.

Apparently it was played very little and then traded in on an electric.

The strings on it were horrible. I think with a new set of EXP's or Nanowebs it would be a fine instrument.

It has a very comfortable neck and low action. Local shop here has a $450 tag on it. I think it can be had with

new strings and setup for $300-350.

Thanks for the quick response. Harmony Central seemed to be pretty favorable.

I've found a description at MF but that model had Kluson style tuners. This one had nice Grovers.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they dispensed with the adjustable bridge which is probaboly a good thing.

Hopefully they also did not copy the pencil thin necks you found on the early 1960s Gibsons.

No adjustable bridge . B compensated saddle.

Not sure of the neck radius but it has a 1.75" nut. Very accommodating for hybrid picking.

Curiously all the 1963 re-issue models I have pulled up online have retro style Klusons.

This unit has Nickel Grovers. According to the serial it's a Samick built from '06.

The only thing not perfect is the bridge pins. It appears that several were replace and don't exactly match.

I'll be ordering some new ones from Bob Colosi.

Archived