Gibson Brands Forums

SG vs Les Paul neck size

mbs100k

It depends on the neck profile. Once upon a time, there was the 50's round neck profile and the 60's slim taper neck profile. The neck on my '66 special is skinny, but thick. My '61 jr is wide, but not very thick. My 2008 special has a tremendous wide and fat neck like a 50's historic! I guess what I am saying is every SG has a different neck shape, as do the Les Pauls. The LP Classic has the slim taper 60's neck whereas a historic 50's LP will have a neck like the fat end of a baseball bat.

It depends on the neck profile. Once upon a time, there was the 50's round neck profile and the 60's slim taper neck profile. The neck on my '66 special is skinny, but thick. My '61 jr is wide, but not very thick. My 2008 special has a tremendous wide and fat neck like a 50's historic! I guess what I am saying is every SG has a different neck shape, as do the Les Pauls. The LP Classic has the slim taper 60's neck whereas a historic 50's LP will have a neck like the fat end of a baseball bat.

Everything Ampman says is correct. Gibson also has a 50's/60's hybrid which is supposed to be in between the two. I think that's what's on my SG-3 or else it is a 60's taper on the fatter end of the spectrum.

Archived