Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on ES-347 Setup

glennc

Hello Gentlemen,

I could not find what I considered an appropriate section to post this question, so hear goes. I have an ES-347 that I had a luthier that I had used once before do a birthday present on it. He went to great lengths as his previous work was impeccable. In this particular instance the results were less than I expected. The guitar strings were buzzing, reproducible at various frets. I took it back and was told he didn't hear it and you don't hear it through the amp anyway. Well I explained that I don't own a guitar that buzzes anywhere, anytime. So he asked me to leave it for several more days to work on it. Well the buzzing continued. I could actually hear the buzzing through the amp with the split coils on single pickup. I had other guitars immediately available to test them and their sound. No buzzing, except on the 347. I phoned the gentleman and explained that it was still buzzing and he advised me that he would take it back one more time and if not resolved give me my money back. This seems exceedingly fair and honest. My question to him was assuming he did all that he knew was possible to it and it still buzzed, what might the problem be. He advised me that it was me. Fair enough. They not having Gibson vintage reissues which I normally use put I believe Ernie Ball strings on it. Today I received a shipment of Gibson Reissues and restrung the ES-347. Immediately the buzzing was almost completely gone, acoustically as well as amplified.

My question is can anyone give an honest explanation (even if unflattering to me), why this set of circumstances is possible. I have never had it happen on any other guitar. The 347 also does not appear to have medium jumbo frets, but a slimmer and lower style.

I would appreciate a knowledgeable explanation because I would love to understand it. It is puzzling me to no end.

Thanks in advance

glennc

I'm no luthier, and I can't offer any 'real' advice...I can only wonder if your luthier left the strings off for too long and the neck 'shifted' in subtle ways that are hard to detect; of course, a good luthier would not have done that.....so......If it wasn't buzzing before, sounds odd. Did he do any fret work ? Gibson fret wire is softer than most.....I use earnie ball strings as well....Perhaps your 347 likes the Gibson strings better, they are probably higher in nickel than other brands.....Other than that, I do not know....Nice guitars, those ES 347s.......I replied because no one else had, which suprised me....... On the plus side Glennc, because you now have one response, you should get more, out of interest and to correct my response...............Good luck !!!!!!! ( since you fixed the problem yourself, maybe he'll give you a cost break next time. )...

I'm no luthier, and I can't offer any 'real' advice...I can only wonder if your luthier left the strings off for too long and the neck 'shifted' in subtle ways that are hard to detect; of course, a good luthier would not have done that.....so......If it wasn't buzzing before, sounds odd. Did he do any fret work ? Gibson fret wire is softer than most.....I use earnie ball strings as well....Perhaps your 347 likes the Gibson string better, they are probably higher in nickel than other brands.....Other than that, I do not know....Nice guitars, those ES 347s.......I replied because no one else had, which suprised me....... On the plus side Glennc, because you now have one response, you should get more, out of interest and to correct my response...............Good luck !!!!!!! ( since you fixed the problem yourself, maybe he'll give you a cost break next time. )...

Howdy damian,

I do appreciate you responding to my inquiry. I don't have the knowledge. It is definitely better with the Gibson strings. He did polish the frets and reputedly checked for height. I started the topic in the Gibson Hollow Body section as I wasn't getting any reply hear. Again thanks for your time and kindness.

glennc

Glenn

Try a set of flatwound strings.... In my experience with hollow or semi-hollow bodies is they will react more favorably to 11 gauge (or heavier) flatwound strings.

Also keep in mind with a hollow-body, they resonate like crazy and can cause the pickup selector switch to vibrate when in the middle position, which can sound like a fret buzz. Also ABR1 bridges can give off a weird buzz sound if the retaining wire isn't doing its job anymore.

Glenn

Try a set of flatwound strings.... In my experience with hollow or semi-hollow bodies is they will react more favorably to 11 gauge (or heavier) flatwound strings.

Also keep in mind with a hollow-body, they resonate like crazy and can cause the pickup selector switch to vibrate when in the middle position, which can sound like a fret buzz. Also ABR1 bridges can give off a weird buzz sound if the retaining wire isn't doing its job anymore.

Howdy duane,

Wow, you've given me a lot to consider, and I wouldn't of thought of any of them. Thanks. I've tried flat wound strings once and never got the feel for them. Maybe going to 11's might help. Opinions being what they are, I like the sound of the Gibson Reissues over any other I've tried. Since I don't shred or even play that well it just concerned me that this problem has never been on any of my guitars in the past after a checkup. I can get used to it, but would prefer not to have the sound and deadening of the note.

I'll play it a while and when I replace the strings, I may take your advice and put 11's on it. Thank you also for your time and knowledge.

glennc

Archived