Gibson Brands Forums

2002GIBSON HISTORICLES PAULCUSTOM ,CUSTOM SHOP

koocho123

OK I BOUGHT A 2002 GIBSONLESPAULCUSTOM HISTORIC REISSUE IS THE BODY ALL MAHOGANY ? NO CAP? IS THIS A BAD THING?(NO CAP) WAS 2002 A BAD YEAR FOR HISTORICS? I WAS TOLD THE GIBSON HISTORICS WERE MORE VINTAGE ACCURATE . YOU KNOW WITH THE 7 SERIAL NO.AS OPPOSED TO THE CS SERIAL NO. I READ IN 2003 THE SAME GUITAR ADDED A MAPLE CAP THEN IN 2007 THEY CHANGED NAME TO VOS WITH MAHOGANY CAP WHAT IM TRYINGTO SAY ARE THE LES PAULS WITH THE CAPS ARE THEY BETTER? WHEN THEY WERE MADE IN 57 WAS THE BODY ALL MAHOGANY, OR WITH A MAPLE OR MAHOGANY CAP? OR JUST A MAHOGONEY BODY THANKS. (SORRY MY CAP BUTTONS STUCK)

• 2 weeks later...

2002 was a great year for historics, but no better or worse than other years (excluding Norlin years) Your 2002 57 reissue may or may not have a maple cap depending on which model it is a reissue of. As R9 stated, a 57 Les Paul Custom would not normally have a maple cap while a 57 Les Paul (Standard, not a Custom) would normally have a maple cap. Each has it's own tone and character. Each guitar should be evaluated on it's own. "Better" is the voice in your head that tells you which one YOU like "Better". I have a 2002 50th anniversary 52 Les Paul and it is one of the best build quality, best playing guitars I have played. To get a better idea, call Gibson Customer Support at 1-800-4GIBSON and give them the serial number and any other details you can and they will tell you more about your guitar. To sum it up with a "general" answer, if your 2002 57 reissue is a "Custom" it will not have a maple cap and if it is a regular Les Paul, it should have a maple cap. A real 1957 would also have and not have a maple cap depending on the model.

Archived