Gibson Brands Forums

LP Tribute first string change

Pontiac

Replaced the strings on my 50s Tribute yesterday with a set of Gibson Vintage Reissue 10-46s and I have to say that even after I dialed the setup in, it sounds way different than with the original strings. Sounds kinda wimpy.

What do they use from the factory? Is it the Brite wires? They dont seem to specific on the product page on the website....

As far as I know Gibson use Brite Wires on new guitars. Those Vintage Reissues are Pure Nickel strings not Nickel plated steel strings so there going to sound warmer. All strings in the 50 and 60's were pure Nickel round core strings. So if you like vintage music it was made with those type of strings. Anyway you have to adjust PUP height and individual string poles for optimum tone and balance. They are not magnetically as sensitive to the PUP magnets as Nickel plated steel strings. Once their dialed in most players prefer the pure Nickel strings including myself. All though, it can depend on the type of music you play and guitar they are on. Always let your ears be your judge.

Archived