Gibson Brands Forums

What do you guys think of the Designer Explorer ( thumbs up or down )?

Erwin

I have an 86 Gibson Explorer designer series and this guitar is very light compared to my LP Standard! This guitar has a very good action and perfect for fast licks! What do you guys think of the design though? Mine has the stripe inlays on them! Do you guys think Gibson kinda overdid this and made it look sissy or did this make it more of a space age trip?

Back then when the designer series came on the market it looked like a desperate try by a conservative company.

Space Age. Don't think so. There was some competition that was way ahead in colours and shapes at the time. As the design series didn't catch on it was dropped again.

However, I'd love to get my hands on a rebel flag Explorer or Victory.

Take a pic. Upload it somewhere. To a temp address like one of those photobuckets or something. Then in your post press the image button on the control panel and put the address to the image inbetween the img []. example [*img] www.image.com/image.jpg [*/img]

something like that.

Hey Erwin or rogslayer do you mind me asking how much you paid for those?

Just trying to get an idea of how much they're worth. I'd love to pick one up.

I got mine from a bandmate who suffered from depression and gave me the best deal ever! 400.00 plus studio mate amp and some foot pedals! Felt bad for my buddy so its got a bit of a sentimental value.#-o

I paid $400 also, this was back in the mid 90's. I'd really like to refinish mine but I can't paint very well and I can't afford to get it done by a professional. I'm fairly happy with the tone of it though.

I do need to get a new tone knob though, I seem to have bad luck with kids dropping stuff on my guitars, kinda why the Gibson stays in the case now when I'm not playing it, now if I can just find a case for my other guitar.

I paid $400 also' date=' this was back in the mid 90's. I'd really like to refinish mine but I can't paint very well and I can't afford to get it done by a professional. I'm fairly happy with the tone of it though.

I do need to get a new tone knob though, I seem to have bad luck with kids dropping stuff on my guitars, kinda why the Gibson stays in the case now when I'm not playing it, now if I can just find a case for my other guitar.[/quote']hey rogslayer, did you install the tremolo bar yourself? Did it require drilling holes?

it came like that' date=' and still haven't seen one like it yet.[/quote']The previous owner probably modified the guitar! No explorers were made with tremolo bars as far sa I know! Is that a Kahler?

I have no clue, the tremolo has the gibson logo, I made a post about the tremolo and it really didn't get answered, I've always wondered about that myself.

I think I seen a post saying someone had the same tremolo on his Explorer.

Edit: I can get a close up of the tremolo if you want.

Edit #2: From what I just seen from seaching the net it wasn't an add on it came with it. I also read they might of been made by Schaller in Germany.

I have no clue' date=' the tremolo has the gibson logo, I made a post about the tremolo and it really didn't get answered, I've always wondered about that myself.

I think I seen a post saying someone had the same tremolo on his Explorer.

Edit: I can get a close up of the tremolo if you want.

Edit #2: From what I just seen from seaching the net it wasn't an add on it came with it. I also read they might of been made by Schaller in Germany.[/quote']Yes, I would love to see a close-up on the tremolo, if it is what I think it is, then I would say that you are a very lucky man!

Archived