Gibson Brands Forums

What is it, LG-1 or LG-3?

KCD

The headstock has nothing stamped, or printed on it (front or back) except the Gibson logo (Post-WW2 style logo with connecting dot over the “i” and the "G" and the "n" drop below the other letters, with the open "b" and open "o" (open at the top of the letters) that were used until 1969). The tuning machines are the Kluson originals, although the knobs have recently been replaced, as the original knobs were shrunken and cracked and no longer able to stand the stress of tuning.

Inside the guitar where the neck joins the body is the following number: "X 5966", then on the other side of that neck block is the number "29". According to a web site I've recently found (http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#intro), they say concerning serial numbers, "...1952-1961: Factory Order (FON) Numbers beginning with the letter “Q” to “Z”, ink stamped on inside back, all hollow body models", which is how the numbers on my instrument appear to have been applied. The site further indicates that the letters go backwards as the years advance. So, "Z" would be 1952, "X" would be 1953, and so forth.

Therefore, I assume the "X" would designate the year 1953 as the year of manufacture for my guitar. The web site indicates that the four number grouping is a factory order number while the two number grouping to the right is the numerical position of the instrument within the factory run of forty guitars. I have no idea what the two numbers actually mean and would be most anxious to learn. I can find no other numbers anywhere on the instrument.

The top is natural Stuka Spruce, while the sides and back are mahogany. The finish on the instrument remains the same, as it was when I bought it in 1961 for between $50 and $70. The web site mentioned above indicates that all LG-1 and LG-2 guitars were shipped with a "sunburst, single bound" top, while only the LG-3 had a natural finish spruce top that was "triple bound". The binding on my instrument is clearly a "white-black-white" top binding and surrounding the sound hole. Further, the web site indicates that the LG-1 was "ladder braced", while the LG-2 and LG-3 were "X braced"; my instrument is "X braced". The web site also states that the LG-1 and LG-2 shipped with black bridge pins and the LG-3 came with white pins. The original pins from my guitar remain in my possession and they are white.

The Luthier who recently re-glued some of the braces and repaired a small crack advised me that my guitar was an LG-1. Everything I have learned would indicate that it is an LG-3. I would appreciate it greatly if someone with knowledge could confirmation the actual year and model Gibson that I have. Additionally, I have learned that the LG-1 currently sells for $1,200 to $1, 800. If my instrument is an LG-3, what might I expect it to be worth? What should I insure it for?

Thank you greatly for your assistance.

Klee C. Dobra

Williamsburg, Virginia

Photos attached

post-24896-078679600 1289747203_thumb.jpg

post-24896-071614900 1289747215_thumb.jpg

post-24896-079105600 1289747226_thumb.jpg

post-24896-090916900 1289747241_thumb.jpg

Hi, Nice guitar! It looks to me like, you have a fine example of a 1954 LG-3. According to my reference book, the 'X' prefix would denote 1954. I have a 2008 Vintage price guide that values it at $2400-$2800, in excellant, original condition. I would assume that to be a good 'ballpark' figure!

Sounds like you have done your homework....Good detective work.. [thumbup]

How does it sound and play?....Enjoy, Rod

Rod,

Now that the braces have been re-glued and it can be tuned, it actually sounds better than ever. The overall tone is outstanding. It is quite brilliant, yet the mids and lows are strong. I have it strung with light strings and it remains plenty loud enough!

Since you have the book, can I ask you if the "X were a "Y", what year would it be? It is very difficult to tell if it is an "X" or a "Y". If the FON is "Y-5966" rather than "X-5966", does that alter the value as shown in your vintage price guide? The letter could just as easily be a "Y" as an "X", and it is possible that the Luthier (who obviously got a better look at it) properly identified the year as 1953.

I have no intention of selling it, I've owned it since 1961 and continue to play it regularly. It has brought me substantial enjoyment over the years and I hope that it will continue to do so. I was never concerned or even interested in what it was, it was a Gibson and that meant the neck would not warp. When I took it in to have the work done, the Luthier told me it was a 1953 LG-1 and valued it between $1,500 and $1,800. Then I read that all LG-1 guitars shipped with sunburst tops, so I asked Gibson... yet to get a response. Further study led me to believe that the Luthier had incorrectly identified it as an LG-1. It did, however, look like an LG-3. Thank you for corroborating my identification as an LG-3.

Klee,

If it is a 'Y' prefix it would be a 1953. My book breaks that price range down to 1950-1955. They are slightly higher before that and slightly lower after that. !942-1946 have the most value....$3000-$4000

I have one that has no readable #'s. I am guessing 40's-something. I can tell it pre-50's by the style of tuners and the thickness of the peghead tapers slightly up to the top edge. It does have a truss rod,so I figure it was made after the war. I like to say its a '46.

The LG size is one of my favorite Gibson acoustics. Very lap-friendly and light. Rings like a bell...Rod

Rod,

Thanks for your assistance. FYI, my Luthier was able to get a better look at the FON inside the guitar on the neck brace and states that it is most definitely a "Y" rather than the "X" we originally thought, dating it to 1953. Additionally, Benton Cummings at Gibson Repair has confirmed this instrument as an LG-3. The other thing I wanted to let you know is that the market seems to have strengthened a little since 2008. Two LG3s, a 1947 and a 1953, from two sellers are offered at the $3,495.00 and $3,595.00 respectfully on www.Gbase.com. Those are high-end,retail prices for "excellent" instruments, but $3,500 is a far cry from $2,800. It would also appear as though 1942-1955 are close to parity now. [thumbup] I guess the proof is in the pudding when (and if) they sell. Mine is not for sale at any price.

Thanks again for your help.

KCD

• 1 month later...

Archived