Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Double 12

Loppster76

Did Les Paul ever play one these? I have never seen a picture of him with one. This hits me as rather odd since he was always looking for new sounds

Lafayette

Honestly, I have never seen any pictures of anyone playing the double 12 models produced from 58-61. Gibson only built 46 of them total on a custom order basis only. I have seen a few pictures of the double mandolin EMS-1235 in action thanks to Eric Ernest. You're right though, this should have been right up Les' alley. Check out the site for some more info and pictures!

Andrew

www.59gibson.com

• 3 months later...

Honestly, I have never seen any pictures of anyone playing the double 12 models produced from 58-61. Gibson only built 46 of them total on a custom order basis only. I have seen a few pictures of the double mandolin EMS-1235 in action thanks to Eric Ernest. You're right though, this should have been right up Les' alley. Check out the site for some more info and pictures!

Andrew

www.59gibson.com

i've seen a Double 12 in action before, it's on a Crosby, Stills, and Nash concert DVD that my dad used to watch

• 11 months later...

What an amazing axe you have! BTW, Jimmie Rivers, the leader of a Western Swing band called Jimmie Rivers and The Cherokees used to play a white one that had a Bigsby installed on the 6 string part. You can hear it on a CD called Brisbane Bop that is available on Amazon.com. While Jimmie is not widely knowm, many guitar players consider him the greatest Western Swing guitar player ever (me included). Please send me a private message if you could consider selling it. If you don't, I totally understand!

I saw a white Double-12 on Antiques Roadshow several months ago and it was appraised at $30-35K!! It was also a late 50s or possibly early 60s version and was it really nice condition. Wish I could find the clip online. Congrats on such a rare find.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived