Gibson Brands Forums

Ernie Ball strings unravelling at the ball end!

kaicho8888

I haved used EB for over 40 plus years! I usually break the high E more than any of the other strings. I get lazy changing the whole set (10's) so I bought a set of 10's to just replace the high E when I break it.

I must have gotten a bad batch, but almost all the string started to unravell at the ball! Last night I had to change twice! Weird, must be some QC problem at EB. [cursing] Oh well...

I haved used EB for over 40 plus years! I usually break the high E more than any of the other strings. I get lazy changing the whole set (10's) so I bought a set of 10's to just replace the high E when I break it.

I must have gotten a bad batch, but almost all the string started to unravell at the ball! Last night I had to change twice! Weird, must be some QC problem at EB. [cursing] Oh well...

Could be a bad bunch. You can save them by tinning the ball end before installation.

The used ones are toast however.

Could be a bad bunch. You can save them by tinning the ball end before installation.

The used ones are toast however.

oh yeah! I've done that in the past; I'll do a quick solder job to the remaining strings in the pack...thanks! [thumbup]

Sproggie, nice to know that other brand have the extra high E. I'll check it out. [thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard of some counterfeit strings on the market. Is this possible?

Hmmm... I haven't heard of fake strings. It seems like a lot of trouble for a low priced item...but anything is possible.

My saga of bad luck continues. Last weekend, I purchased and opened up another set of EB 10 on a Strat. a week later the high E started going flat after a 1-1/2 note bend, retune, bend and pop! Hope this is not an indication of a "dark cloud" after being brand loyal for 40 years! Besides, I'm lazy in my old age and don't want to solder the ends.

So, I'm going to try out GHS. It was on sale at the local GC; 10 sets for $20. I don't know much about the brand but worth trying out.

Archived