Gibson Brands Forums

L-130 Anyone own/play one?

sfden1

I'm looking for a smaller body Gibson as a present for my wife. She has a SWD but is not comfortable with the size./scale. Loves the tone though (understandably, it's a great guitar). She's basically a strummer. So, I'm looking for something that will give her some of the tonal qualities of the SWD but in a smaller body, short scale. Several people have recommended the CJ-165 and we've been looking for one locally to try, but in the meantime I've found a used L-130 online but within reasonable driving distance from me.

I've never played one, never seen one. I did a search here but found only one thread that didn't really tell me anything about the guitar (just that someone had let theirs go and regretted it). So, anyone here familiar with this guitar that can tell me about it? I know the basic specs, more interested in tone and playability. And if you can compare it to the CJ-165R, that would be good too. Thanks for any help folks.

D.

I have owned one for four years now and it has only been getting better with time. It is a short scale bubinga model and it is very balanced across all strings, has a loud clear voice, and the body size is very comfortable. I am strickly a finger style player so I cannot give you an opinion regarding it's strumming capabilities (with a pick), but, I know that when I am playing it hard, it doesn't even begin to break down. I think that you might be very happy given what you have said you are looking for and for the $, I sure don't think that you will find a better value out there. These were built before the big run up in price on the new models and I feel it is easily in the same ballpark as what is being produced today.

Sorry' date=' I can't give you an opinion on the L-130, but I don't think you'd be dissapointed with the CJ165RW. My wife plays one of those and loves it.[/quote']

Mike, you know that's interesting. I've gotten a number of rave recommendations for the CJ165R from women who love it both for tone and it's comfortable size. Finding one of these locally though it is not easy. My local small shop Gibson dealers seem to have never even heard of it. Frankly, I feel bad because, having played a dread for so long, I didn't realize how much my wife was struggling with the size of the SWD. My bad.

I have owned one for four years now and it has only been getting better with time. It is a short scale bubinga model and it is very balanced across all strings' date=' has a loud clear voice, and the body size is very comfortable. I am strickly a finger style player so I cannot give you an opinion regarding it's strumming capabilities (with a pick), but, I know that when I am playing it hard, it doesn't even begin to break down. I think that you might be very happy given what you have said you are looking for and for the $, I sure don't think that you will find a better value out there. These were built before the big run up in price on the new models and I feel it is easily in the same ballpark as what is being produced today.[/quote']

Thanks thabesh, and welcome to the forum. I much appreciate the feedback on the L-130. Tell me, do you have an idea of what a reasonable price for a used one is? I won't get to try out the one I'm thinking of unless I drive about a 100 miles. The asking price is $800. That seem reasonable?

And, can you describe the tone of yours? Quick decay for fingerstyle, or a bit more sustain? Well balanced, or bass heavy? My wife likes the size/scale of my LG-2, but is not enamored of the tone, being used to the tone of the rosewood SWD with it's more complex voice.

sfden1, thanks for the welcome. When they were new, they were sold in the $1,300 - $1,400 range so the $800 asking price seems pretty reasonable. I have seen others for sale within the last year from time to time and they were well above the $800 for the one in your area. Best of luck with your decision.

I also have an L130 and would have to agree with thabesh on these. To my ears they have more the characteristics of Rosewood as far as sustain and overones goes, But remain a very well balanced guitar.

Their size is very comfortable and the added depth on the lower bout makes them an excellent strummer

or flatpicker. You won't get the omph a dred has but your not loosing a whole lot either. They make a great all around guitar if you are looking for a smaller body size and the price you mentioned is very good.

Archived