Gibson Brands Forums

Probabilities of type of Pickup......

glennc

Hello,

I was just wondering about the 57 Classic pickups I have in some older guitars. One is a 90 ES-175 and the other is a 96 Custom Shop ES-335. When purchased they were said to have 57 Classic pickups in them. The question would be of the probability of them having 57 Classic + pickups in the bridge position. Is there a way to tell without disassembly? Hope someone can help. Thanks

glennc

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a way to tell short of hooking them up to a meter...

Hello again BentonC,

Thank you Sir for your knowledgeable responses. It really doesn't matter as I am not changing either guitar out. Just wondering if the 57 Plus pickups might be that old. If the time comes as you indicated, I can just meter them. Much appreciated.

glennc

'57 Classics are not that old. So I'm assuming the previous owner swapped out the originals.

Hello vincentw,

Maybe I am using the wrong terms but the 175 and the 335 are original with 57's in them. Is there a difference to 57 Classics and 57's?

Thanks again for joining in the thread. Get a lot of info.

glennc

mabye not that important, but what I found out on Stew Mac's website is that the PAFa didn't have bridge and neck pickups they had the same output for both pickups. just a lttle bit of info. so if you want more of an older tone, hope that its not a 57+.

Hello LedZep2112,

I think they are the same pickups. Doesn't matter they sound perfect just as they are. They are significantly (to me) hotter than the Dirty Fingers in my 347. Strange. Thanks for the info.

glennc

Archived