Gibson Brands Forums

59 custom shop reissue neck vs 57 CS reissue neck style

keeter

the 57 and the 58 are the same except for the finish and the 57 has a slightly thicker neck.

the 59 has a slimmer neck and a flame top (59s tend to weigh a few ounces less on average). other than that, they are the same as 57s and 58s, but they cost $2k more. same pickups, same electronics. the 1960 reissue is the same as the 59, with a thinner neck, reflector knobs and double ring tuners.

therefore the 57/58 is the best bang for the buck. i bought my r8 new and my r9 used. if you want a 59, used is a great way to save about $1500. used 59s go for about $3500-$4200.

the other option to consider is the G0, which is a guitar center 1960 exclusive. it has the thinner 60 neck and a plaintop. it doesnt have the reflector knobs though (but you can buy them). i dont know about the tuners.

i hope this helps.

both of those places. i would also go to mylespaul.com and sign up for the forums. i bought my r9 used off of another member there (there are member classifieds). there is also a dealers section. many members will only buy their Historics from certain superdealers (never online and never from Guitar Center or Sam Ash).

and of course, no matter what you do, do NOT ever pay sticker. if you are looking at a 58 with a sticker of 3099.99, you should be able to get it for $2600-2800.

Archived