Gibson Brands Forums

1971 LP Deluxe Specs

mpeixoto

Hi KS,

Thank you very much for your help.

I just saw your website and I got amazed and frightened... that Gibson LP Studio repair job was amazing...

I have some Gibson LP bought over the Internet and now I don’t now if any of them had a headstock repair...

One thing is for sure if I ever have a serious repair to do my Guitar goes (from Portugal) straight to you!

I really liked your 1971 GT, my Deluxe is a 1971 Sunburst and its 100% original (at least I bought it think that...).

140703559_o.jpg

140703606_o.jpg

The specs that I would like to know are:

Body

Neck/Profile

Fingerboard/Inlay

Scale/Nut Width

Binding

Bridge/Tailpiece

Hardware

Pickups

Rock On,

Miguel

Yours may be a 1972 due to the Gibson logo on the pickups. Popular legend says they were only used in 1972 but I bet some 71s and maybe some 73s had them too.

The body is "sandwiched" mahogany (multi-layers) with a maple cap.

I'm not good at describing neck profiles but it is a little thicker, rounder, and fuller than many LPs. Typical of 1969-70-71 though.

Fingerboard is rosewood with trapezoid inlays, no idea as to material.

Scale is 24.75", nut width is 1-11/16".

Binding is single layer cream, no clue as to material.

Bridge has been replaced; original was an ABR-1 I think (and distorted, therefore replaced!).

Tailpiece appears to be aluminum or some other lightweight metal with plating all flaked off.

The tuners were likely Schaller made with the Gibson logo. They were long ago replaced by Schaller M-1s.

The pickups were stock mini humbuckers which I replaced with Dimarzios (direct replacement).

I have a Gibson sales brochure #838429 copyright date of 1975. Then, as in now, Gibson doesn't want to be too specific on published specs. That way they can always change them. I claim no accuracy or divine knowlege of this information, I'm only retyping what is written. Here's what they published at the time:

The specs that I would like to know are:

Body: "Solid mahogany body with carved maple top. Body size: Length 17 1/4". width 12 3/4". depth 2". Available in Cherry Sunburst or Gold finish."

Neck/Profile: "Laminated mahogany construction. Gibson truss rod with truss rod cover."

Fingerboard/Inlay: "Rosewood fingerboard with deluxe inlays. "

Scale/Nut Width: "24 3/4" scale length. Width at fingerboard nut 11 11/16' " (yes they actually let that go to print, I would assume they meant 1 11/16")

Binding: "Cream colored fingerboard binding with side dots."

Bridge/Tailpiece: "Adjustable, chrome plated tune-o-matic bridge with stop tailpiece."

Hardware: "Three position toggle switch for pickup selection. Chrome plated, individual machine heads with shaped buttons."

Pickups: "Two chrome plated Gibson Humbucking pickups with individual volume and tone controls."

Doesn't tell you much does it. And then the topper at the bottom of the page: "To improve design, quality and performance of our instruments and to make use of the best available materials at all times, we reserve the right to change specifications without notice."

As for the embossed pickup covers, my reference materials state that "in late 1970 it was decided to emboss the Gibson logo on the pick-up covers. By the end of May, 1972, this particular feature was officially discontinued, but owing to items held then in stock, it is most likely to be found on guitars and basses released throughout 1972 and up to early 1973."

I hope that helps...

Hi KS and Larry,

Once again thanks for your help and for the Specs!

Yours may be a 1972 due to the Gibson logo on the pickups. Popular legend says they were only used in 1972 but I bet some 71s and maybe some 73s had them too.

I have checked the Pots and they are all 4 from 71.

The serial number is 600000S so this puts her in 1970' date=' 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975...

That Studio repair job doesn't get out of my head!!!

I hope that helps...

You have definitely helped here!!!

That’s exactly what I expected to know!

Rock On,

Miguel

Hi KS,

I have a another issue on my 1971 LP Deluxe.

The bridge is set with the 6 string screws facing the stopbar, this way the strings touch the screws.

I thinks this is wrong, can you please check this on your 71 LP?

I have checked on my R9 and the screws are facing the pickup side and not the stopbar...

All the best,

Rock On

Miguel

• 3 months later...

I have a 1970 LPD GT and it has embossed pickups. Serial verified 1970 by Gibson. Electrics from 68/69. The early years of the Deluxe were strange. Depending on the serial/series, there were slight differences. Closed "o""b", volute, etc. Bridge screws should face pickups.....

Take care,

Rob

Archived