Gibson Brands Forums

Maybe beyond the scope of the Forum

glennc

Hello,

I haven't come across the correct site to get the wiring and component requirement for my project. I intend to put a 57 Classic in the neck position and a P-94T in the bridge in and epiphone les paul. I wish to change all the components to CTS and whatever to get the best quality. First what type of audio tapers do I use in the guitar. Do I need long shaft or short. What would be the correct ohms for the tone and volume for the 57 and if different, what is required for the P-94T. What size caps and brands are considered high quality and correct for each type of pickup.

What I'd like is the classic sound and warmth and power out of 57. I would also like the classic P-90 sound out of the P-94T. A concern I have is that one pickup will overpower the other, would probably need and alternate setup to get them balanced in power. Please can anyone help or point me to a comprehensive easy to understand site to get the answers to each of my issues. Thank you all!

glennc

Hi Glenn I think we've talked on the phone about some of this. You will need long shaft pots for the LP.

Hey vincentw,

Thanks a lot, that is a start. On the net there is some contrary opinions. Some say 500 ohm pots for tone and volume on both of the different pickups. Others say to go to 250 ohm with the P-94T. Cap values I still haven't gotten down in my mind yet. Hoping someone with experience can give the correct values. I understand the single coil is much less powerful and you need a different size pot for that.

I don't know. Am getting the Studio set-up this weekend. Really like the neck, may do the changes to that and put the burstbucker pros in the Epiphone. Unfortunately my reach is shorter than my desires.... But it will happen. Ran across some a video with the P94T and a SD 59' Humbucker. It sounds sweet, it is having two guitars and the tone with both pups is great also. Thanks again and take care.

glennc

Hello to all,

I have acquired some information I believe to be true and would like independent confirmation, if you guys would care to share. I was advised that for both pickups a 300K Ohm linear taper for the volume controls and 500K Ohm Audio Taper for the volume control pots. The rated output of the P-94T is actually higher than the 57 Classic so I don't have a great difference in power. For more vintage sounds 500K Ohm pots all the way around were suggested.

As for the caps I was advised that I could use .02 MicroFarads for both the pickups.

As always any advise is appreciated.

glennc

• 2 weeks later...

-I updated the electronics in my Epi years ago with matched CTS pots from Black Rose Customs, both 500k audio taper. I have the short shaft pots in it. The only thing you will need to do is slightly open the mounting holes in the top of the guitar. This is due to going from metric to standard if you are using CTS pots. I also have Orange Drop caps in it. A .022 in the bridge, and a .015 in the neck. I had DiMarzio Virtual PAFs in both spots. But now I pulled the neck p'up and went with a GFS Mean 90 there. I love it! Still get that Les Paul tone from the neck, but just with a bit more of that "single coil openness" that I love. Sorry, but I love the open, airy tones that Strats give you. 'Buckers usually sound kind of boxy to my ears, although the Virtual PAFs are quite good.

L8R,

Matt

-I updated the electronics in my Epi years ago with matched CTS pots from Black Rose Customs, both 500k audio taper. I have the short shaft pots in it. The only thing you will need to do is slightly open the mounting holes in the top of the guitar. This is due to going from metric to standard if you are using CTS pots. I also have Orange Drop caps in it. A .022 in the bridge, and a .015 in the neck. I had DiMarzio Virtual PAFs in both spots. But now I pulled the neck p'up and went with a GFS Mean 90 there. I love it! Still get that Les Paul tone from the neck, but just with a bit more of that "single coil openness" that I love. Sorry, but I love the open, airy tones that Strats give you. 'Buckers usually sound kind of boxy to my ears, although the Virtual PAFs are quite good.

L8R,

Matt

Howdy AnthemBassMan,

Nice looking Epi. Must sound pretty good. You had no trouble using the short shaft pots in it? I'm afraid that I am completely unfamiliar with Virtual PAFs. I am definitely looking for the P-90 Single coil sound. Thanks for the response and the information on what you used. I have to decide if I'm changing out my Epi or my Gibson LP Studio. Can't decide.

glennc

-No troubles what-so-ever using the short shaft pots. If I'm not mistaken, the only time you need long shaft pots is when you have a Gibby with the metal plate in the control cavity. If you're going to change out the Epi, I'd say give the Mean 90s a try. Very quite P90. A bit quieter than my Strats when using a single p'up. The Virtual PAF isn't made anymore. The 36th Anniversary is kind of the replacement for it. For your Studio, I'd keep an eye on eBay for a good used set of whatever catches your eye.

L8R,

Matt

-No troubles what-so-ever using the short shaft pots. If I'm not mistaken, the only time you need long shaft pots is when you have a Gibby with the metal plate in the control cavity. If you're going to change out the Epi, I'd say give the Mean 90s a try. Very quite P90. A bit quieter than my Strats when using a single p'up. The Virtual PAF isn't made anymore. The 36th Anniversary is kind of the replacement for it. For your Studio, I'd keep an eye on eBay for a good used set of whatever catches your eye.

L8R,

Matt

Thanks again AnthemBassMan,

Looks like plans are on hold for a while, so I can keep my eyes open for a good deal on ebay. Good idea.

glennc

-When I bought my DiMarzios, I bought the neck p'up used, and the bridge p'up new. Both combined with shipping ran about $75. Not exactly free, but a pretty decent deal non the less. Good luck on your quest. And I understand all too well about plans being put on hold. I still have a two piece, swamp ash Tele body that I bought from USA Custom Guitars about six years ago that I still haven't gotten finished. Too many things in life jump in front of getting it finished. But some day. Some day.....

L8R,

Matt

-When I bought my DiMarzios, I bought the neck p'up used, and the bridge p'up new. Both combined with shipping ran about $75. Not exactly free, but a pretty decent deal non the less. Good luck on your quest. And I understand all too well about plans being put on hold. I still have a two piece, swamp ash Tele body that I bought from USA Custom Guitars about six years ago that I still haven't gotten finished. Too many things in life jump in front of getting it finished. But some day. Some day.....

L8R,

Matt

Matt,

Truer words were never spoken. Endeavour to Persevere.

Glenn

Archived