Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Saddles?

bruceasl

post-28011-048854100 1292797229_thumb.jpg

This is my first post so bear with me. I been tinkering with my Epi Special II, she's not much I know, but I own it. The saddles I noticed the 3 low strings are angled toward the tailstop and the 3 high strings are angled toward the bridge pickup. Is this correct or a mistake? The reason I ask is I am having trouble setting the intonation. Once I get the string in tune then adjust the intonation, the open string becomes out of tune and vice versa.

I have noticed some bridges have the saddles all oriented the same way, and some are split between the wound and plain strings. Yours are fine, and the way they are oriented gives a slightly wider adjustment range.

When you are setting the intonation you always have to retune the string after you have moved the saddle. This is because when you move the saddle you are changing the scale length and also increasing/decreasing tension on the string slightly due to the string angle over the bridge. The idea is to get the harmonic and fretted note on the 12th fret to be exactly the same. If the fretted note is sharp, move the saddle away from the pickup and vice versa.

Hello and welcome the forum [biggrin]

yes it is perfectly normal for the saddles to be arranged in this way.

tune the open string using an electric tuner, next play a harmonic at the twelfth this should also be in tune, next play a fretted note at the twelfth and see if this is also in tune. If the note fretted at the twelfth is sharp then move the saddle slightly farther from the neck to lengthen the string and vice versa, next retune the open string and repeat the procedure until the open harmonic twelfth and the fretted twelfth all match up nicely. and move to the next string until all 6 are set.

PS it is highly recommended that you do not do this with old strings

heres a wee link that may helpMy link

PPS there is also a sticky thread over in the lounge with loads of information and great tips for fiddling and fixing on guitars. [thumbup]

Archived