Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard

abbeyrod

I recently bought a Flying V pickguard on the net and when it was delivered I noticed it wouldn't fit my Gibson V.

The plate was made in Japan. the length between the beginning of the neck and the stud holes is different from the gibson V, and so on...

Are the epiphone v scratch plate different from gibson? that would mean it is an epiphone plate...

I don't know what to do with it, I would like to sell it, but I cannot claim it fill fit a gibson V, so I need to know what it is made for.

Thanks in advance

I recently bought a Flying V pickguard on the net and when it was delivered I noticed it wouldn't fit my Gibson V.

The plate was made in Japan. the length between the beginning of the neck and the stud holes is different from the gibson V, and so on...

Are the epiphone v scratch plate different from gibson? that would mean it is an epiphone plate...

I don't know what to do with it, I would like to sell it, but I cannot claim it fill fit a gibson V, so I need to know what it is made for.

Thanks in advance

Is your Gibson V an older one or one of the current RI V's?

The pickguards for the RI V's are slightly smaller and the holes will not line up properly. Most of the V pickguards you see online are to the newer RI template.

Yes, Epiphone pickguards are not always the same as Gibson's. It's important to get a pickguard that is listed as made for your year/model, send them a trace of your existing pickguard or send them your pickguard to get the proper dimensions.

Be careful out there, I'm trying to buy a black PG for my Gibson Flying V Faded, and I asked a seller on Ebay about whether the ones they were selling would fit (I won't name a name, but they have far more Flying V pickguards available than anyone else on there, in various graphic finishes and whatnot.) The reply I got was:

"Hello, we have had a lot of "mis fits" with Flying V pickguards lately. If you want to send me a tracking of the one you are replacing I can let you know for sure."

I do appreciate their honesty and their fast reply, but I'm surprised that I'd be having trouble finding a correct pickguard in a common color for a guitar as numerous as a Faded V. I had a similar issue a few years ago with a pickguard for an SG Special which almost fit, had to make a few slight adjustments to make it work, mostly to 2 screw holes and to one of the bridge thumbwheel posts. I wondered if that was an Epi pickguard I'd received.

Archived