Gibson Brands Forums

explorer goth floyd swap

zeebo271

Zeebo,

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know anything about that particular Floyd Rose. I do know that they are not all the same.

There are 15 or so patented parts on the originals. Not all of them are include when they are licensed to others to produce. Best you take careful measurements before you buy. Most places you might get one from have contact info or 800# available. Don't think I would buy one if the seller couldn't assure me as to direct replacement.

I know this isn't much help. Maybe others can advise.

Willy

As long as you buy the same model that the lic. Floyd was desiged from, it should just drop in (as far as bridge post width is concerned). You should measure your post width (from of center post to center of post) and make sure the Floyd you buy is the same distance.

The other thing you need to look out for is the length of your string lock screws. There are long and short ones. If your guitar is routed for short string lock screws, you are going to have problems if you buy one with long screws. Long string lock screws will hang over the trem routing and put dents in the guitar when you pull upward. Most likey, that scenario will even dent the guitar at set-up.

One more thing to look out for is the depth of the tremolo block. If it is too long, it will stick out of the back of the guitar and the cavity plate wont go back on.

So basically, you need to check the lengths of your string lock screws, bridge post width and trem block.

If it were any more difficult than that, I would think that an Original Floyd would be way too proprietary to easily replace a typical lic. Floyd. I dont believe that is the case.

Also, a word of advice: When you change out your tremolo, dont bother to install the new claw. Soldering the ground wire to it is a major pain in the arse. It looks simple, but getting the solder to stick isnt easy. Leaving the old claw installed wont compromise the integrity of the new trem. They are all the same no matter how much you pay for it.

edge_diagram.jpg

Archived