Gibson Brands Forums

Strange Tuner Issue on Robot SG

danneskjold

Hello All,

I have owned and enjoyed my Robot SG for well over a year now and use it frequently -- I recently came back from vacation and find that the G and high-E strings will not tune. The winding knobs are fully engaged and there is no short in the system. I am the only one to use the guitar and only tune it mechanically (meaning I have never turned the tuning knobs while engaged and only turn them while disengaged to put on new strings occasionally).

The guitar tunes normally except for those two strings which blink red and green on the MCK as if tuning but the tuning knob never moves (and makes no sound). I fear that the motors for these two tuners may have gone bad but I have no idea how this could've happened.

Any suggestions for what I could try to get my SG back up and running?

Leslie

Update -- it seems that the tuners in question may not be engaging though they are clearly pushed in. If I strum a string and pinch the tuner as pictured it will tune -- however, the T8 nuts at the end of knobs are screwed in tight! I'm not sure what I can do? Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie post-8747-081303300 1293590989_thumb.jpg

Update -- it seems that the tuners in question may not be engaging though they are clearly pushed in. If I strum a string and pinch the tuner as pictured it will tune -- however, the T8 nuts at the end of knobs are screwed in tight! I'm not sure what I can do? Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie post-8747-081303300 1293590989_thumb.jpg

Hi Leslie,

I'm not an expert, but based on your comment that the tuners make no (motor) sound unless you press on them, I would suggest you check the electrical contact between the tuner and the flexible circuit on the back of the headstock. It may be a little loose or have oxidation issues. Very carefully loosen the hex nut that holds the tuner in place and gently reposition the tuner. The tightening torque is really low (mentioned elsewhere on this forum by Tronical). See if that works.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Leslie,

1) Remove the respective tuner and carefully clean its contacts with a dry cloth. Clean the contact areas on the PCB also.

2) Now reinstall the tuner, align its housing with the black electronic box and screw tight at approx. 1.5 Nm torque. Make sure the tuner housing is not twisted when you tighten it!!

3) Restring (push on the string slightly for a little pre-tension before locking with the nut!), disengage the peg and turn on it at least a half turn for a bit more pre-tension.

Make sure the winding direction on the string post is correct!! If its vice the versa the tuning peg will disengage by itself!! The string has to leave the post facing the center of the headstock!!

4) Pull on the MCK and strum the respective SINGLE string, repeat until in tune.

Tronical

You play. We tune.

Archived