Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help In Determing Age Of Gibson

johnlandi

Hi Everyone, I'm new to these forums so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I recently inherited an old Gibson SJ Deluxe from my brother. The serial number is stamped into the wood on the headstock. There is an 2 on the very top with the following numbers underneath: A140069 and underneath that is stamped the words Made In The U.S.A.. It also has an orange label but, as far as I can tell, no serial number on it anywhere. I'm almost positive that the last three digits are 069. However, it's a little hard to see and might be 089 although I'm leaning towards the former. I really appreciate your help on this matter as I have spent countless hours on the Internet trying to look this up on my own only to find myself more confused than ever! Cheers and Happy New Year everyone. John

Sorry that's "Determining" My wife swears I need glasses. I disagree, however. I think the world just needs to get clearer is all! (She also says I have the attention span of a two-year old--she might be right about that!)

A long time ago I was told that "A" followed by 6 digits was 1973 but everything I've read in the past few years says it could be 1973-75. The "Made in USA" stamp was first used in 1970. The '2' on the back of the headstock means it was a factory second. Seems like half of Gibson's production in the 70s were marked second,so it's no biggie. It would have been some little cosmetic flaw that you probably couldn't determine now anyway.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to these forums so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I recently inherited an old Gibson SJ Deluxe from my brother. The serial number is stamped into the wood on the headstock. There is an 2 on the very top with the following numbers underneath: A140069 and underneath that is stamped the words Made In The U.S.A.. It also has an orange label but, as far as I can tell, no serial number on it anywhere. I'm almost positive that the last three digits are 069. However, it's a little hard to see and might be 089 although I'm leaning towards the former. I really appreciate your help on this matter as I have spent countless hours on the Internet trying to look this up on my own only to find myself more confused than ever! Cheers and Happy New Year everyone. John

Sorry that's "Determining" My wife swears I need glasses. I disagree, however. I think the world just needs to get clearer is all! (She also says I have the attention span of a two-year old--she might be right about that!)

Ping Gibson Customer Service and they'll help. 1-800-4GIBSON.

Or drop them an email at CustomerService@Gibson.com... at least I think that's the email :)

The published information I have available to me indicates "A" +six digit numbers were used in '74 and early '75. Combining that with ksdaddy's info ('73-'75) and the least common denominator is 1974.

I have yet to find any published information that will narrow it down any further, so I think you can be safe, truthful, and confident in calling your guitar a 1974 model.

Archived