Period - 1985-1988

Construction Body type - Solid

Neck joint - Bolt

Scale - 25.5"

Body - Basswood

Neck - Maple

Fretboard - Rosewood

Bridge - Steinberger KB Tremolo

Pickups - One Samick Vantage Humbucker, two single coil pickups.

Colors available - Ebony and Pearl White.

The Epiphone Les Paul 3 was introduced in 1985 along with the Epiphone Les Paul 1 and Les Paul 2. It was built by the Samick Corporation in Korea from 1985 to 1988. It is not derived from either the Epiphone Les Paul Custom or Les Paul Standard, as it predates both of them. It does, however, feature a split-diamond headstock inlay much like the Les Paul Custom.

Features

- One Samick Vantage humbucker in the bridge position

- Samick single-coil pickups in the middle and neck positions

- Black hardware

- Locking nut

- Locking Steinberger KB Tremolo

- Carved Basswood body

- Maple bolt-on neck

- One master volume/one master tone controls with three kill switches (one for each pickup)

- 22-fret Rosewood fretboard with "small block" inlays

- 25.5" scale length

- Colors available: Ebony and Pearl White.

Body and Headstock

The body is thinner than most Les Pauls and has a shallow belly contour on the back of the body. The headstock used on the Epiphone Les Pauls 1, 2, and 3 is similar to the Gibson "Open Book" headstock. The Steinberger KB tremolos used on the Epiphone Les Paul 1, 2, and 3 would commonly break.

Serialization

The serial numbers on 1980s Samick-built Epiphones were on a sticker on the headstock, which was commonly ripped off after purchase, making the dating of these models quite elusive.

These serial numbers used the Y/MM/XXXX format. That means the first number was the last number of the year the guitar was made, the next two numbers were the month, and the last four were the production number (For example: "6100475" designates a guitar made in October of 1986, production number 0475).

The Epiphone Les Pauls 1, 2, and 3 had stickers on their heels designating model and color (For example: "LP-3/PW" designates a Pearl White Les Paul 3).

Hello RTH

Sorry to trouble you, but I noticed your post here where you had a detailed spec on the Epiphone Les Paul 3

I have what I think is a Les Paul 2 from the same year (1988) - and was wondering if you could point me towards the same kind of information for that model, or let me know any of it?

Thanks

UEF

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!

In my search of figuring out how to use the KB tremolo system on my les paul, i came across this forum and get even more curious. One quick question i'd like to have clarified is what kind of a les paul mine is. I can't figure out if it's a lespaul 2 or 3.

I've attached a couple of pictures. Sorry about the quality:

post-40799-065954400 1329487594_thumb.jpg

post-40799-037839600 1329487600_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone!

In my search of figuring out how to use the KB tremolo system on my les paul, i came across this forum and get even more curious. One quick question i'd like to have clarified is what kind of a les paul mine is. I can't figure out if it's a lespaul 2 or 3.

I've attached a couple of pictures. Sorry about the quality:

And sorry about using another posters topic, but it seemed logical putting it in here :)

You have a Les Paul 2. The name of the model is determined by the number of pickups on these models. I've never seen a red on before. Pretty cool!

Thanks for the quick answer! :)

Its a piece i inherited so i cant say ive seen one before this one either.

THANK YOU guys. you realy helped. Maby someone knows price of this model. it's definitely lp-3. it has a sticker LP-3/LB. i think it's a rare model. i couldn't find any photos of LP-3 on internet, only one is from this forum, few years ago, it was pearl white.

p.s. sorry for my english if i've any mistakes :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I find it very interesting to see what country all the people come from. Maybe you dicide to put yours in your profile? But it´s up to you......

Have fun in the forum....they are all very friendly here. That makes the difference to other forums.

• 1 year later...

I own a white version of this guitar with 2 pickups that I bought new many years ago.

The guitar is, for lack of a better word, complete garbage.

The stienberger is the main offender. If you try to actually use it then you will find that it's made of soft metal and the pole pivot pieces will flatten themselves almost instantly, the bar will break off and the string saddles will wear big ruts. Just the fact that the fine tuners on it work by directly screwing into the string is retarded.

The wood is junk as well. I dropped mine and it broke off the bottom half, from the bottom two knobs down, clean off.

The frets come loose. One fret was actually too low and i had to re-seat it.

If you have the option to buy this guitar, don't. Get a decent made guitar instead.

For reference I own a 97 gibson LP special (tv yellow of course!), an 80s something LP studio and a few epi version as well.

Archived