Gibson Brands Forums

es 345

popeye

I have a 1960 es345 The fretboard was planed down to eliminate worn spots and now the strings are too high. It could be my imagination but it seems as though this changed the sound. Just wondering if it wouldbe worth replacing with a new fretboard, I understand this is a major undertaking. Thanks.

I have a 1960 es345 The fretboard was planed down to eliminate worn spots and now the strings are too high. It could be my imagination but it seems as though this changed the sound. Just wondering if it wouldbe worth replacing with a new fretboard, I understand this is a major undertaking. Thanks.

Have you lowered the bridge height? Were the fret wires shortened as well?

Interesting. WHY did you plane down the fingerboard? The frets are what comes in contact with

the stings...and I can see you dressing or replacing worn frets. But...planing the fingerboard???

Especially, on a vintage '60 ES-345. You are a brave soul! (Smile) Still, if the luthier that

did the work, knew what he was doing, it shouldn't have been planed by much, and should not effect

the tone. A poor setup (or (it sounds like) NO setup) could account for poor playing action, and that

could, certainly, effect "your" tone. I'd take it in, and have it properly set-up, before you do

anything else. See how that helps, then go from there. I'm stunned... ;>b

CB

Archived