Gibson Brands Forums

New Paint for LP Jr.

BlueEpiphone

I bought this LP Jr. last month for $119. It has a low action and the factory tuners are surprisingly smooth. The paint is Krylon . I used black and two shades of blue applied over two coats of grey primer. The only surface prep I did was a light sanding to de-gloss the factory black finish. I do need to clear coat this because the black paint has a weak sheen and needs to be blended in. Thanks

for looking.

post-27662-010397900 1294913323_thumb.jpg

Behold... The Epi 'Blues Tiger' [thumbup]

BE: I wanna cut my daughter loose on decorating a geet for me sometime. She read somewhere that Hendrix did his with finger nail polish [confused] Any more explanation (Krylon???) on how you did that would be much appreciated.

The paint is Krylon. I do need to clear coat this because the black paint has a weak sheen and needs to be blended in.

Any more explanation (Krylon???) on how you did that would be much appreciated.

I LOVE KRYLON due to the variety of colors you can get. It's an ACRYLIC-BASED paint.

Used it on two projects so far. I'll toss in a link to a project, a couple of pics, and

a BRIEF summary of "Lessons Learned" (mostly about CURE TIME of paint) = learned the HARD way!

Link from EPI LOUNGE DIY thread, "Projcts and Builds" Sub-section:

"70's HONDO II Refinish Project"

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php/topic/47516-70s-hondo-ii-refinish-project/page__p__647349__hl__hondo__fromsearch__1#entry647349

Pics of Git after Primer Coats, Color Coats, Clear Coats, and final "Buff out" with Auto Polish

scratch remover (2 kinds) info in link:

100_0273.jpg

100_0338.jpg

LESSONS LEARNED about KRYLON:

CURE TIME!!!!!!!!!! I was shooting 3 or 4 coats, then allowing to "cure" for about a week before

hitting with with next set of primer, color, clear - whatever. In hindsight, I should have given

each at least 2 or 3 WEEKS before proceeding.

After final GLOSS Coats, I hung guitar up, then checked it weekly with the old "Smell" check.

If I could still smell fumes, it wasn't ready. After 6 weeks, no more fumes (little did I know).

So, I wet-sanded, buffed it, and reassembled. One day, I accidentaly bumped back against bar stool

while playing, left a small "moon-shaped" dent. HUH??????????

So, I removed one of the pups rings - and there was a rectangular dent THERE, Too! HUH????????

Turns out that each successive coat effectively sealed in the ones from before, preventing

them from properly breathing/curing out. This in turn, left the inner coats "soft"

although the outside coats were totally dry to the touch. I confirmed this via emails

with the KRYLON company.

I was expecting around a month or so turn around on the git, should have planned for 3.

BUT, I learned from it. I WILL use krylon again, but I will also plan on a much longer project.

[thumbup]

Thanks for the comments. @animalfarm In always had durability problems with my DIY paint jobs because I can barely wait for drying paint let alone follow the mfr.'s recommendations. Thanks for the info (and also for the DIY section in the epi. Lounge). Here is another pic (still needs clearcoat). I tried to get the illusion of a carved top by using pattern and shading but I think the illusion will not work once the clearcoat is applied.post-27662-024370800 1294968065_thumb.jpg

I tried to follow my Photoshop plan but as you can see blue took over again.post-27662-039740600 1294967922_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Forum.

Archived