Gibson Brands Forums

Aluminum Tailpieces

surfpup

Yes, the differences are much more apparent with headphones or good speakers. I could

hear the difference more clearly while mixing the two tracks together in my little studio.

And the differences are even more apparent while playing the instrument acoustically. It

vibrates differently.

I think the scope would be very interesting, Milod. The aluminum to me is not just louder,

but the tone itself seems different. While it's perhaps not the best word, it seems that the

resonance is different. It would be cool to measure that somehow. Unfortunately I have not

the ability to do this, but maybe I can find someone with a scope and the ability to use it.

Hoping the bridge arrives this weekend. I'll try to replicate settings accurately and record

again.

I'll conclude for now by saying this. I'll be putting aluminum tailpieces on the my other Gibsons.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I put my Faber Tp-'59 on and yes it made a noticeable difference in sustain. Also, it seems to have changed the "clarity"(tough to find the right word)of my '98 R7. One thing that I noticed about my stock(heavy) TP was that when balanced on my finger and tapped, it rang like a bell. When I did this to the Faber, nothing but a dead sounding tap. Does anybody know if those high$$$ Gibson aluminum "Historic Spec" TP's ring? I would think that if I could get the sustain of the aluminum, and "clarity" of a "ringing" TP, I would be in tonal bliss.

• 4 months later...

Archived