Gibson Brands Forums

EB3 ?

Rubberhead

Hi all, proud owner of 1974 Walnut color EB 3 .. very happy with my purchase but have a few questions about what I should and shouldn't do to protect the value. 1st - the tuning keys have the nicest "milky" patina, should I clean them to shine like the bridge guard and pick ups? I know in other antique collecting, you leave it like it is. 2nd, will it hurt the valve if I move the peg for attaching the front of strape from the back of the body to the end of the top horn. That is just to make it fit my playing style. Opinions welcome. All I know is I played a EB 0 in 1971 a friend had and now I finally have my own Gibson .. thanks

Well to protect the value, a new hole on the horn will hurt............but you also use it a working guitar.....so, the choice is yours...I would go ahead and mod it...I'd keep the tuning pegs nice and patinaed...

That's strictly my opinion..........You use it, so mod it..............Even many slightly modded old guitars keep value........it all depends..........................

Welcome

And congrats on yer EB-3. B)

All original, those basses can be worth good money.

With that in mind, if you're looking for future/collectable value, I wouldn't try "shinning" things up, because the original patina are what some look for. No drilling or routing.

As Damian says - swap out parts if you like, but keep the old parts protected in a safe place.

Thanks to everyone, I think the only thing I will do is put some new strings, and straighten the neck a little, its not really that bad. Q. What is the right string for the 1974 Gibson? It has Flat wound now, and I like the feel.

I don't know the proper answer...I used reg wounds on my Ric basses which is a no no...If you like the flat wounds, use them...Some guitarists use flat wound guitar strings, which

I don't understand........The bass must sound really nice, with 37 years to mellow...........There is a Gibson bass forum here, you may try asking there.........just an idea...

Archived