Gibson Brands Forums

LeGrande

Nizzajetset

First of all I would like to say HALLO, as this is my first posting! [rolleyes]

In a shop in Moscow/Russia I saw a LeGrande in black colour. They told me that the Guitar was from the year 2008, is this possible? I thought that it was not produced in black colour, or? How long was the production of this model?

I have doubts and how can I be sure that that it is a real one? The price is about 5.800 Euros.

Are new guitars of the LeGrande available in Europe or USA and what is the value/price of this model today?

Thank you in advance for your help! I would need an quick answer as I want to buy that guitar!!!!Please is there nobody who can answer these questions??????

• 2 weeks later...

Gibson LeGrande

In 1960 Gibson approached Johnny Smith, one of the day's leading jazz players, in the hopes of creating a signature model guitar for him. The Johnny Smith Model guitar was introduced to dealers in 1961, and was essentially a combination of an L-5 body with a Super 400 neck and headstock, with one unique new feature: Smith had demanded a fully acoustic body and a suspended pickup, and so a mini-humbucker--originally designed for Epiphone by Seth Lover--was mounted on the end of the fingerboard, and the input jack and volume control knob were mounted to the pickguard. The Johnny Smith Model stayed in Gibson's catalogue until the late 1980's, and was reintroduced in the Custom Collection as the LeGrande in 1993.

Jazz

[thumbup]

One further note about the Johnny Smith Guitar (from an interview with JS in Just Jazz Guitar May 1995):

JJG: Did you have any input in designing the Johnny Smith Guitar?

JS:...I suggested the cross bracing.... I also wanted the neck to be solid right up to the last fret right into the top.This does two things. It eliminates the problem of having the fingerboard curve down in the very high register due to the pressure on the frets and it gives a very even sustain on all the notes all the way up to the last Fret.

DG

Sorry for my stupit question:

"The Johnny Smith Model stayed in Gibson's catalogue until the late 1980's, and was reintroduced in the Custom Collection as the LeGrande in 1993."

So that means that the LeGrande ist still in production????

Yesterday I played one in a shop the LeGrande and to me the neck felt more comfortable as the neck of my ES135. I guess the Super 200 Neck is even slimmer than neck of the ES135, is this possible?

The price of a new LeGrande ebony is nearly 6000 € - could somebody tell me if is it the money worth????

Thank you so much!

• 1 month later...

The price of a new LeGrande ebony is nearly 6000 € - could somebody tell me if is it the money worth????

Thank you so much!

That's the hard part about buying guitars. Only you can decide whether it's worth "your" money.

Good Luck!

Jazz

[thumbup]

• 1 year later...

Just for the record Gibson has not made a black LeGrand..............for the kind of money that a LeGrand costs why on earth would you want a jazz guitar especially in that price range in black?..........makes absolutely NO sense to me at least................jim in Maine

Just for the record Gibson has not made a black LeGrand..............for the kind of money that a LeGrand costs why on earth would you want a jazz guitar especially in that price range in black?..........makes absolutely NO sense to me at least................jim in Maine

my LeGrand is sunburst

post-54038-029830700 1362469619_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived