Gibson Brands Forums

P-94 R or T

allanp

Hi

I ordered a P-94T from Guitar Center, received a package containing the pickup and bill of sale. But, the seal on the box says 'P-94R', while the card insert has the '94-T' option marked with blue marker. I wonder what I've actually got and if it will make any difference to what I'm going to do, which is, to replace one pickup in a Les Paul Jr (Epiphone).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

AllanP

The R is the neck (Rhythm) pickup and the T is the bridge (Treble pickup). Ideally you want the T since it's going in a bridge position, but there aren't really hard and fast rules for which pickup goes where. You could measure it with a multimeter and compare that with some specs online to see whether you have the neck or bridge version.

The R is the neck (Rhythm) pickup and the T is the bridge (Treble pickup). Ideally you want the T since it's going in a bridge position, but there aren't really hard and fast rules for which pickup goes where. You could measure it with a multimeter and compare that with some specs online to see whether you have the neck or bridge version.

Thanks for your reply.

I see that with an 'R' you need a 'T' because of the windings, assuming you are going to use two of them.

Since I'm only using one, I was just wondering if the sound would be any different.

AllanP

There are minor differences in the output between the T and R P94s, and they are wound opposite for humbucking use when combined in a 2 or 3 pickup guitar, but since you're only using one, it makes no perceptible difference. It is quite possible that the highly trained staff at GC switched things around on you. If it bugs, send it back. Otherwise install it and enjoy.

PS, I had a P94R mounted in the bridge (T) position in a single pickup Epi Jr., and it was fairly impressive. I take that back, it was the freakin' schite. I still have the pickup, but not the guitar. On the back is a white paper sticker that says "P-94R" along with a serial number. Here are some pics:

P1000672.jpg

P1000673.jpg

P1000674.jpg

I ended up selling it to forum member deflepfan, with an even better Gotoh Dimarzio knock off in it.

Sheila, if you're out there, my offer to buy that guitar back still stands...

There are minor differences in the output between the T and R P94s, and they are wound opposite for humbucking use when combined in a 2 or 3 pickup guitar, but since you're only using one, it makes no perceptible difference. It is quite possible that the highly trained staff at GC switched things around on you. If it bugs, send it back. Otherwise install it and enjoy.

PS, I had a P94R mounted in the bridge (T) position in a single pickup Epi Jr., and it was fairly impressive. I take that back, it was the freakin' schite. I still have the pickup, but not the guitar. On the back is a white paper sticker that says "P-94R" along with a serial number. Here are some pics:

P1000672.jpg

P1000673.jpg

P1000674.jpg

I ended up selling it to forum member deflepfan, with an even better Gotoh Dimarzio knock off in it.

Sheila, if you're out there, my offer to buy that guitar back still stands...

Thanks very much for the response. I thought it probably would make no discernible difference, so I'll not bother with the further delay.

I suppose I just like to get what I ordered. I'm looking forwards to hearing the LPJr after this!'

AllanP

Archived