Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V Tremolo Questions

LedZeppelin419

I have been using my dad's 1988 Gibson USA Flying V as my predominant guitar for the past few months now. One day I noticed that there was a huge gap between the bridge and the body of the guitar. I asked why and he told me that there was originally a tremolo bar that went there but it broke, and instead of fixing it he took it off and replaced the portion of the guitar where the actual body of the tremolo bar went with a block of wood. (sounds like a terrible thing to do right?)I'm just wondering what the best tremolo bar option would be to re-install into the guitar. What do you all think?

post-29928-076858900 1295641508_thumb.jpg

post-29928-044413700 1295641472_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You really need more info from dad, and more pics would be nice. What kind of trem was on the guitar? Was it a locking trem (Floyd Rose, Kahler), a Fender-style trem, or one of Gibsons many types? Do you intend to restore the guitar to original condition, or just want the performance of a good trem? Is that the original finish? (That one also addresses the restore/hot rod question)

it kinda looks like it had a locking trem on it, and back then Gibson seemed to use more Kahlers. Kahlers from the 80's varied a lot in models and parts, but good ones are VERY nice to play

you see why the 'more info' flag goes up so often when dealing with guitars? That's also why it's so fun!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Your father defaced one of (in my opinions) the coolest Flying Vs made. These Vs had a steinberger or Floyd Rose Floating tremolo in them, NOT a Kahler. Unfortunately the guitar is only worth a fraction of its value now. Incidentally, the identical guitar came with a Tune O Matic bridge. It's a shame Dad didn't get that one instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Your father defaced one of (in my opinions) the coolest Flying Vs made. These Vs had a steinberger or Floyd Rose Floating tremolo in them, NOT a Kahler. Unfortunately the guitar is only worth a fraction of its value now. Incidentally, the identical guitar came with a Tune O Matic bridge. It's a shame Dad didn't get that one instead.

It looks like a kahler style or floyd. Is there a back cavity with a claw and springs? If your dad used the pivot screw holes for the bridge bolts, but im not sure if they are the same width. Standard kahlers routing isnt perfectly square like yours.

Id browse the internet looking for another- same year w/ trem

Archived