Gibson Brands Forums

What is the neck like on an Explorer?

metalheart93

I would but I can't find any around the area I live up north in Scotland and guitars such as explorers are hard to come by lol. Ill have to go to Glasgow one day to try on out, I just got an SG which I'm happy with but I might decide to trade it in for an explorer if I can find one.

Neck comfort is extremely important. Even with it being out of the way for you, I would try it out first.

Unless you're an Ibanez guy that is used to those very thin necks, I think you will find an explorer neck comfortable to play,

but it is best to try before you buy.

I think I played the thickest neck I've seen yet on a Gibson yesterday, on a Joe Perry signature LP at Guitar Center, way thicker than the 50's neck on any of my LP's by far, most noticeably by the nut. I think it may been a bit much; by comparison, I find the Explorer neck to be quite comfortable and thinner than my LP's or SG's. It does feel similar to the neck on my Faded Flying V, I think they called it a 60's hybrid profile if I remember right.

My Explorer E2 has what I would call a "medium" neck, it's definately not 50's LP thick, but has kind of the same roundness to it. I tried out a '76 reissue in a shop last week and that was definately much much thicker, more akin to the 50's neck. However, as far as I know, the necks are hand sanded, so each neck even on the same model will feel different... they're not super-cheap so I'd say the trip to a guitar shop to try them out before purchase is definitely worth it..

Archived