Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning App - How To

GFH

Hi all,

Just picked up a Les Paul for my son to play around with. I also downloaded and installed the Gibson Tuning App question is, How do you use it?

I tried plugging the guitar directly into it, I tried plugging a mic in and I tried the internal mic but nothing happens. Can some point me to instructions somewhere on how to use it or educate me as I obviously don't see the "on" switch.

Yes, I've tried a search but I came up with nothing.

Many thanks

GFH

This app isn't the greatest, but it works in a pinch. When you start the app on your phone, tap mode, then under 'Type' make sure 'Chromatic' is checked. Then, under 'Tunings' make sure 'All Notes' is checked. Your strings will have to be roughly in the same ballpark note-wise for it to sense what note you're trying to tune, but it works for me. For my acoustic guitar, I put my phone on my knee with the mic facing the guitar's sound hole. If I'm trying to tune one of my electrics, I set it on a chair in front of my practice amp, mic facing the speaker.

I'd definitely recommend getting a tuner (like a Boss Tu-2 or Tu-3) when you get a chance. Those types of tuners have a bypass mode where it cuts out the sound. That way you won't have to hear *twaaannng paaaaeeeeerrreeeee* type sounds while he's trying to tune up.

Archived