Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Heights and Sustain

ToneQuest

I've just installed a Burstbucker #2 in the neck position and a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge position of my Les Paul Studio (Wine Red). Does anyone have suggestions for what pickup heights I should start with for experimentation? I want to get lots of sustain, but plenty of tone as well. Will I get more sustain by having them lower or higher? Will I lose tone if I put them too low?

Hi Tonequest,

Congrats on the install of new pups. Sounds like it could be a good combo. What kind of guitar are you talkig about? Tech Tips on Gibson.com has a pickup install step by step. Here's what it says about pickup height adjustment.

"Close up the backplate, restring your guitar, tune, and play. Adjust the height of the pickup to find the sweet spot, the height that sounds best to your ears. If the pickup is too close to the strings, it will sound muddy and distorted (in a bad way). If it is far away from the strings, it will sound weak and you will lose tone. Take your time and use your ears."

I agree that it takes time and a good ear to find the sweet spot. There is not a perfect formula for pickup height because tone is in the ear of the beholder. Some may forget that you can adjust the bass side of a pickup and the treble side to slightly different gaps, so remember that when you start searching for the "Sweet Spot". Usually the bass side of the pickup should have more space from the strings than treble (for a less muddy sound). Pickups which are too close to the strings can restrict the sustain. Remember, take your time and use your ears. You may want to make adjustments over a period of a day or more. I hope that helps. Ggod luck and enjoy. Also, here is the link to that specific Tech Tips page. Pickup height info is about halfway down the page.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/RepairAndRestoration/Tech%20Tips/Pickup%20the%20Pace/

Thanks for that! Good comments and very useful and informative article. Been experimenting with the heights - to be honest these pickups sound great at various heights. Got the neck pickup pretty much level with the height of the fingerboard at the moment. Tweaked the tone and effects on my Roland Cube 20x....and voila!!

Guitar is transformed into a tone monster!!!! WOW. What a tone! Damn these pups are good. Kudos to Gibson!! I think my quest for tone might be at an end. I was originally going to install the a set of 57s, but the shop didn't have the 57 classic in stock, so I went with the Burstbucker II instead (which has an output close to the 57). Think it'll be a long time before I get tired of this tone. We're talking great dynamics, harmonic complexity, and TONE, TONE, TONE!!! It's all there!!!

Very happy biggrin.gif/

Archived